Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Front End Bounce

Discussion in 'Modified 1995-2001 Explorers' started by Dave98XLT, October 23, 2014.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. MercuryMullet

MercuryMullet Active Member

City, State:
    el cajon ca
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    97 mercury mountaineer
    IMO the coil add on will do nothing more than stiffen the truck, it does nothing to dampen the bounce. If you were still to compress the spring and torsion you are now asking the same shock that is having trouble dampening just the torsion to dampen even more pressure. It may actually bounce worse. If you are in the sand (unless its just flat like a beach) I would recommend disconnecting the front sway bar once to see the effect. It makes a huge difference. When the left front hits something it will not effect the right front. But if you do not want to have to connect and reconnect when in the sand I still would suggest a tunable shock and express your concerns when you order so the adjustments can be tuned to your shock.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. MercuryMullet

City, State:
    el cajon ca
    97 mercury mountaineer
    I see you are VA, so the sway bar trick won't have much effect on the outer banks if that is where you drive.

4. Greg_DonWindsor

Greg_DonWindsor Elite Explorer

Media:
    City, State:
    Fredericton, New Brunswick
    2000 Limited 4x4
    To my knowledge there is no such kit. It's not just as simple as sliding a coil spring over your existing shock. Besides, there's not enough clearance between the lower shock and CV axle, nor the upper shock and upper control arm to allow room for a spring of that diameter. Like Mercury said, you'd then have effectively more spring fighting the same damping characteristics of your existing shock. More spring with same dampening = more bounce. Do some searching on the forum as to what types of front suspension mods have been done on these trucks. Lots of different solutions exist, it's just up to you to choose the one that best suits the demands of your type of driving, and of course your budget.

5. MercuryMullet

City, State:
    el cajon ca
    97 mercury mountaineer
    D

Last edited: October 24, 2014
  6. Dave98XLT

Dave98XLT Active Member

City, State:
    VA
    98 XLT 4WD 4.0 SOC
    Thanks Guys. I will look thru the forum for ideas.

7. Flash

Flash Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Brisbane Australia
    1997 Limited
    Yes there is.
    http://www.summitracing.com/int/search/product-line/bilstein-coil-over-sleeve-kits

The coilover will help to prevent bottoming out but you need good shocks to control the bounce.

What Bilsteins do you have? It seems like you need a more heavy duty shock.

I suppose your tyres are running very low pressure too for the sand, they'll bounce around a lot. If that's the case you'll just have to slow down or pump the tyres up again.

8. Dono

Dono 347 V8 Limited turbo Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    00 Limited V8
    Why not get the coil over brackets and bolt them in. Don't bother with welding the supports in, and leave the torsion bars? Then just add a quality fox 2" shock that can be setup for your application? If you really want to go trick, you can get the ones with a remote resevoir.

When ordering the fox shocks you can explain the application and the supplier will set them up for you before sending them out.

I really don't think the torsion bars are a bad thing, other than clearance issues for some off roaders.

Last edited: October 25, 2014