Front end clunk - bushing failure? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front end clunk - bushing failure?

tazcubed

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer Sport
I've got a 2013 Explorer Sport with about 31500km. The front end has been clunking badly (metal on metal) and is scheduled to go in on Monday to inspect. This is the second time in about 3 months/5000km. The first time they indicated it was a bushing failure (repaired under warranty), although details on the service report weren't specific. I believe they said it was on a control arm. The online service report just says shocks/struts. Has anyone else had this problem? I gather that the initial problem caused some additional wear and tear on the joined parts (after the first bushing failed) which should have been replaced instead of just a bushing inserted and hence why the problem has recurred so quickly. This vehicle has not been driven hard since the first incident - heck, it's been relatively babied since I've bought it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Our 2013 Limited had a clunking sound in the front end at 23,000 miles. Both front strut mounts were shot and replaced. A separate issue was a whining sound, the rear wheel bearings were also replaced.

Is it clunking while going straight or while turning? Or both? Usually, if it does it while turning, it is typically steering related. If it does it in a straight line, it is typically suspension related.

I've seen the sway bar links go bad!

Sway bar on mine.
Starting again.

Is it clunking while going straight or while turning? Or both? Usually, if it does it while turning, it is typically steering related. If it does it in a straight line, it is typically suspension related.

The knocking happens all the time, regardless of steering input. It seems to be coming from the right side - the passenger side. I've always suspected the problem is in the suspension. I may wait while it's being serviced so I can get a look at the problem first hand. Hopefully, it can get solved properly and nothing else comes of it.

after servicing sway linkage

So, got through the service appointment. Apparently, the bolts loosened for the sway linkage. Road tested afterwards and it seems fine. Hopefully, they added some Loctite and fresh cotter pins where necessary. Still seems odd it would come loose after just 2 months unless something wasn't reassembled properly the first time.

Clunking noise front end of explorer

I have a clunking noise in the front suspension. Noise occurs when driving straight over bumps and dips in the road. I have taken it into the local ford dealer twice in the past 3 weeks. The first repair I was told it was the front stabilizers which I replaced for $300. A week later the clunking noise came back. Took it to the dealer and they told me I need new struts. The cost $980. I refused and took the explorer home. Funny thing is the sound was absent for about a week after second visit. Now it is all the time. Sounds like the front end is going to come throughout the floor of the car. Any suggestions?

I have a clunking noise in the front suspension. Noise occurs when driving straight over bumps and dips in the road. I have taken it into the local ford dealer twice in the past 3 weeks. The first repair I was told it was the front stabilizers which I replaced for $300. A week later the clunking noise came back. Took it to the dealer and they told me I need new struts. The cost $980. I refused and took the explorer home. Funny thing is the sound was absent for about a week after second visit. Now it is all the time. Sounds like the front end is going to come throughout the floor of the car. Any suggestions?

Welcome to the forum, hammer112. How many miles are on your Explorer currently? I'll look into some ways to help. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Crystal
The explorer has 54,000 miles. Any direction will help. I can get you information from the dealer if needed

Thanks

I had the clunk as well...When I went over a speed bump or any kind of movement really. Mine was right side. Ford replaced the tie rod I believe and I've not had an issue since.

Crystal
The explorer has 54,000 miles. Any direction will help. I can get you information from the dealer if needed

Thanks

Thanks for responding, hammer112. I want to escalate this to your regional customer service manager so they can help. To get the ball rolling, send me a private message (PM) with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll do the rest. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Thank you for helping out

Thanks for responding, hammer112. I want to escalate this to your regional customer service manager so they can help. To get the ball rolling, send me a private message (PM) with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll do the rest. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Crystal
Thanks for helping get this issue resolved. I am in contact with the dealer and the regional service manager.

Thanks again

Crystal
Thanks for helping get this issue resolved. I am in contact with the dealer and the regional service manager.

Thanks again

I'm always happy to help, hammer112. Thanks for the update! :thumbsup:

Crystal

Mine is back in the shop today to get both sway bar end links replaced this time. Last time it was just the right one. Any idea what is killing these things?

Mine is back in the shop today to get both sway bar end links replaced this time...

Any news from the dealership, The Cheat? Did they complete the repair or is your Explorer back at home with you? Keep us in the loop. :thumbsup:

Crystal

End link. Just had mine replaced last week (under warranty) at 56,000K, 35,000 miles.

yeah, They did a great job, got it back to me same day. Replaced both end links, nuts, and all the hardware. It did fix a lot of the clunk, but there is something still lose up there this time. It's not really noticeable until I go over a speed bump for example. I'm wondering if I have a bad strut or something.

yeah, They did a great job, got it back to me same day. Replaced both end links, nuts, and all the hardware. It did fix a lot of the clunk, but there is something still lose up there this time. It's not really noticeable until I go over a speed bump for example. I'm wondering if I have a bad strut or something.

What's the current mileage on your Explorer, The Cheat? I'm going to work on some options to help. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just a few hunski short of 30k.

Back