• Register Today It's free!

Front end conversion question???

mr1mrwun

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 4dr XLT 4x4 5-speed
Ok, I'm currently in the research phase and I've been looking up front end swap options for my '91. Idk if I'm doing the wrong search or if nobody has done it before, but I'm looking to swap or convert the front 4x4 with the suspension from a 2nd gen to my 1st gen. Like I said I've done some research and I know the 1st gens and 2nd gens are virtually the same, main reason I'm looking to do this is to get rid of the bulky hubs to open up my wheel options and keep my 4x4.

Thanx for any input.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT???

You don't like the bulky hubs?

You want to have custom wheels, but you want a 4x4?

If your 'research' of wheels, was as complete as your 'research' on the 1st and 2nd generation comparisons....I could see how you would come to your conclusion...

Ryan

LOL no I'm not a big fan of them, AND I did do research on my wheel options. I'm not rejecting or overlooking my options now, just asking if its possible. Not something I'm looking to do right away or completely at all. Late night brainstorming I guess...

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT???

You don't like the bulky hubs?

You want to have custom wheels, but you want a 4x4?

If your 'research' of wheels, was as complete as your 'research' on the 1st and 2nd generation comparisons....I could see how you would come to your conclusion...

Ryan

^^^harsh, but true. 1st and 2nd Gen explorers have nothing in common as far as suspension. Gen1 is twin I beam, with a steering box. Gen2 is a arm suspension with rack and pinion. Nothing will match up.

thanx Brandon. I get that the suspensions aren't the same. Just was wondering if such a thing was possible or even done before.

@Spdrcer. I've seen more than I ever thought of done (some of them posted by you) on this forum and was just asking a question. I'm just trying to tap into the wealth of knowledge at my disposal. If I asked a dumb question in your eyes, OH WELL!!!!

thanx Brandon. I get that the suspensions aren't the same. Just was wondering if such a thing was possible or even done before.

@Spdrcer. I've seen more than I ever thought of done (some of them posted by you) on this forum and was just asking a question. I'm just trying to tap into the wealth of knowledge at my disposal. If I asked a dumb question in your eyes, OH WELL!!!!

Well, anything CAN be done, but the amount of work involved would not be justifiable in this case.

the ride sucks on the Torsion bar suspension IMO. If you want to go crazy unique, just go complete custom fab. a little more work for a bigger payoff.

In more budget-friendly terms, a solid axle may be an option?

or completely custom rims that will work with your truck and look how you want?

Thanx for the input.

If you get rid of the IFS Dana35 front axle on the 95+ Explorers, go Solid Axle, in the form of a Dana44 or better....

Ryan

If you get rid of the IFS Dana35 front axle on the 95+ Explorers, go Solid Axle, in the form of a Dana44 or better....

Ryan

Ok, I'm just trying to wrap my head around this, bare with me I'm not a versed in 4wd tech and lingo....your saying a solid axel swap would eliminate the locking hubs outside the rotors???

from some one who has ifs

I wouldn't recommend the conversion if you wheel a bit. The ifs of the 2nd Gen is worthless for flex and you don't have much options for a lif, because if you go too far you'll eat cv shafts and tie rod ends. I would go solid axle.

Nope no wheeling for me. Just winter mobility mainly.

Why not just get a 2nd gen? You would spend less money.

So you're trying to donk out a first gen? :rolleyes:

My vote is buy a 2nd gen. There's no sense trying to swap the TTB for IFS when you can just buy a complete 2nd gen truck instead.

Why not just get a 2nd gen? You would spend less money.

I prefer a 5spd and 4x4. Not very many 4 door 2nd gens with 4x4 and a stick for cheap in my area or anywhere I've seen on the net at decent distance from me. Hence the reason I just recently bought my 3rd one. Whole purpose of the thread was input on an idea I had. Far fetched for my purpose behind the idea, I know that now.

So you're trying to donk out a first gen? :rolleyes:

LOL....no desire to donk out my first gen. No disrespect to the style, but I don't see the point in putting a lift kit and rims worth more than the car or truck your putting them on. Few show cars and trucks donked out look good, kinda pointless as a daily tho.

you could get a second gen and swap in a 5 speed if nothing else.

As far as wheel options there is a sticky on it. So there are plenty to choose from.

If you aren't torturing your truck by off roading it, how often are you going through hubs? If it is mainly used to get you through the NE winter... why not leave well enough alone, and tinker with another area?

I totally get far fetched ideas, some of mine include 2wd to SAS, but I would never use it for the intended purpose as it's my daily driver. My 2nd idea was swapping in a v8 in mine, however after read MANY threads, I think I'm gonna stay away from that. Mostly cause I don't wanna delete the A/C, or move the firewall like Spdrcer34 did.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As far as wheel options there is a sticky on it. So there are plenty to choose from.

If you aren't torturing your truck by off roading it, how often are you going through hubs? If it is mainly used to get you through the NE winter... why not leave well enough alone, and tinker with another area?

I totally get far fetched ideas, some of mine include 2wd to SAS, but I would never use it for the intended purpose as it's my daily driver. My 2nd idea was swapping in a v8 in mine, however after read MANY threads, I think I'm gonna stay away from that. Mostly cause I don't wanna delete the A/C, or move the firewall like Spdrcer34 did.

Yeah it's my daily so I'm not trying to do too much crazy. No off road for me either so I'm not going through hubs. This was just a crazy late night idea, researching something else and this just popped into my head.:dunno:

Looking up that sticky tho, I've just did brief searches on the "main" sites.

Back