• Register Today It's free!

Front end differential/axle noise

scoobydoo

Reaction score
City, State
Bloomsburg, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer 4.0L
Hey guys, had this Explorer for about 10 years now. Its my only ride/work truck and I've done a lot of repairs to it. My vehicle is a
2005 Ford Explorer 4.0L v6 XLT

I have a noise that sounds like its coming from the front. Now I just replaced 3 bearings in the front over the past 10 months. The first bearing i replaced was an autozone duralast, it only lasted 8 months. But both front bearings were replaced recently and i have a noise that sounds like its coming from the front center. Its a growling noise but only around 20 mph. very weird because around 23mph it goes away. Anyone know what a bad differential sounds like? I have a slightly leaky boot on the drvr side CV jnt, but what really worries me is that i saw my front diff seals were leaking and when i checked the fluid level, i couldnt feel any fluid, and i put my whole pinky down in. So i refilled the diff, and havent had a chance to do a damn diff rebuild, since it is my only vehicle. But I think the noise is front differential, but is that what a bad diff sounds like? Localised growl/whirr around 20mph? Anyone ever hear a diff go bad?

Back