Front end making awful sound | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front end making awful sound

MLabuda0211

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 ford explorer
Hello! I have a 2004 ford explorer with over 180,000 miles on it. Last week my front drivers side began making this horrible sound. It is a mix of grinding/crunching. It is present all the time and worse when making a left turn. A few times when turning it makes a very loud click/pop sound. When attempting to gain speed it feels like the front tire wants to lock up. I have stopped driving it because it scared me so bad. When I bought it 4 years ago I had the differential and transfer case replaced. The bearings are only about 6 months old and tires are new. Can any give some suggestions as to what this may be? I am clueless! Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I bought it 4 years ago I had the differential and transfer case replaced.

Front or rear differential or both?

If only the rear I would check the front.

Easiest way would probably be to set the parking brake, jack up the whole front end (both sides) start the engine and put it on 4x4 hi to lock the front drive shaft then try turning one of the wheels by hand, if all is working correctly opposite side should spin in opposite direction as you turn it.

Grinding and crunching really sounds like your front diff is blown or possibly a broken CV joint.

If that's it and you're not in a position to get it fixed could always remove the front drive shaft and CV axels and live without 4x4.

I believe it was just rear differential that was replaced.

I kind have a feeling that it is my differential. When my bearings were replaced the cv joints were still good they just needed re-greased, so it is definitely worth having them looked at. Which one would cause the front wheel to feel like it wants to lock up when driving?

I believe it was just rear differential that was replaced.

I kind have a feeling that it is my differential. When my bearings were replaced the cv joints were still good they just needed re-greased, so it is definitely worth having them looked at. Which one would cause the front wheel to feel like it wants to lock up when driving?

Make sure your tires are all the same manufacturer, exact same size, exact same air pressure and roughly the same tread wear. If there are different tires from different makers, you will have 4x4 auto engagement issues. It's a common problem on these Explorers.

Tires are easy to check and relatively easy and cheap to fix, if needed.

Check your brake pads. And if your tires are worn unevenly, your automatic four-wheel drive may be kicking in.

Tires are all exactly the same. I just got them not long ago from pep boys and I just recently put air in them because they all were low.

I don't think it is brakes. They were replaced not that long ago and the last time they went my Explorer shuttered. It's not doing that at all this time.

once when I had a FR hub bearing go bad, the speed ring was broken and the ABS locked the pads on the FL. I guess it was trying to match the spin rate of the broken speed ring which was zero. I had to pull the ABS fuse just to get the car home. Where I live the choices for hub bearings are Chinese for about 130$ or from the dealer (takes 7 to 10 days to order. Payment in advance) for about 700$. I get the cheap ones that last about 15-18 months.

Pull the ABS fuse and see if the grinding and pulling goes away. Be aware on my 2005 EB it causes fail safe mode.

once when I had a FR hub bearing go bad, the speed ring was broken and the ABS locked the pads on the FL. I guess it was trying to match the spin rate of the broken speed ring which was zero. I had to pull the ABS fuse just to get the car home. Where I live the choices for hub bearings are Chinese for about 130$ or from the dealer (takes 7 to 10 days to order. Payment in advance) for about 700$. I get the cheap ones that last about 15-18 months.

Pull the ABS fuse and see if the grinding and pulling goes away. Be aware on my 2005 EB it causes fail safe mode.

RockAuto will Ship to MX.

Shipping is a bit high but total is still nowhere near $700.

25pjvx0.jpg

Well, idk
I have a mechanic friend that does all my work. I don't know to much about it...hense why I am asking all you wonderful people questions lol
I am a woman...lol I don't get into the "grease" all that often.

Sounds like the CV axle has failed. Visually inspect the axle boots and see if you can wiggle the axle by hand.

I did do that when it first started because I remembered someone telling me that before but there was nothing moving.

Back