Front end noise 2003 V8 4x4 Limited | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front end noise 2003 V8 4x4 Limited

Exp_Steve

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer V8 Limited
I have 115k on the car. Had the front bearings replaced. It's making a strange clunking noise when I turn right or left at slow speed. That's the only time I notice it.

Thoughts?

I just replaced the front hubs myself on my 04 EB, 4WD with 103K. Part of this job is separating the axle from the hub which can be corroded together. I used a hub puller but on one of them it needed the pursuasion of a hammer. I gave it one short blow to the end of the axle get separation.

If you took it to a Ford Dealer, I am sure they did installed your hubs correctly. If you did it with a company less familiar with the configuration they may have gotten heavy handed with the axles. I think that repeated strikes to the axle or not using a puller could work the CV joint pretty hard. This might be what you are hearing as the CV joint has to pivot when turning.

If you are feeling it from the rear, based on your mileage (and mine too) it's probably time for rear differential fluid change. The friction modifier could be warn out and oil change plus new friction modifier for the clutch plates might be what the rear differential is needing.

automatic 4X4 kicking in. Are you turning sharp?

You could drop the front drive shaft and see if it still does it.

Back