Front end noise. | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front end noise.

I suggested upper ball joints. Nobody has replied so I am unaware it that was the problem.

Eric

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm almost willing to put money on this bet (if I were a betting man).

Your upper control arms are loose. My '95 did the same thing, pop&clunk when making sharp left turns or over bumps. the PO (my wonderful BIL) kept taking it in and nobody could find the problem so he never worried about it. I didn't either till it started bothering me enough to do something about it. Jacked it up, turns out the wheelbearings are out of adjustment big time, and the left upper arm was loose at the pivot. did an eyeballed alignment on it and torqued down the pivot bolts and it went away.

i have the problem but i have yet to try the last few suggestions. i will one day.. been working on the house non stop. thanks for all the suggestions.. i'll update when i try them.

I have the same problem with my 98 XLT. 70,000 miles on it. I hit small bumps and the suspension in the front creaks funny. I haven't even started looking at the truck yet. I have not had my brakes changed yet. I just checked and they still have over 50% wear left.

Let me know if anyone finds anything out!!

mikeh

I found the prefect solution to the problem...get rid of the POS and buy a nice 2002 Dodge RAM 1500 like I did a month ago.

Originally posted by kgd102
I found the prefect solution to the problem...get rid of the POS and buy a nice 2002 Dodge RAM 1500 like I did a month ago.

That's a really expensive fix for something that's only marginally better.

Its not really a "pop&clunk" its more like a RUBBER "Squeaky, Creaky" noise both turning the wheel from side to side when stopped, or going over bumps.

Now this has happened to me, I think I've tracked it down to the tie rods and Fords wonderful sealed for life balljoints.

Well.. for us 1994 and older owners.. the noise you are hearing if it feels like its under your feet is most likely the radius arm mounts.. for you 1995 and newer owners.. I havent a clue as i have never owned one.. but for one the suspension is different in them.. the 94 and older have Twin Traction Beam suspension.. and the 95 and newer have IFS independent Front Suspenstion which doesnt use the same principle so the same cluking noises are most likely two seperate things..

Originally posted by mikeh
I have the same problem with my 98 XLT. 70,000 miles on it. I hit small bumps and the suspension in the front creaks funny. I haven't even started looking at the truck yet. I have not had my brakes changed yet. I just checked and they still have over 50% wear left.

Let me know if anyone finds anything out!!

mikeh
Creaking is almost always ball joints.-

I have a 95 exporer xlt 65,000 miles. mine just started making the same clunking noise over bumps.

I have a 95 exporer xlt 65,000 miles. mine just started making the same clunking noise over bumps.

I have a 95 exporer xlt 65,000 miles. mine just started making the same clunking noise over bumps.even at idle
over small bumps it does it.
any help from any one who got it fixed would help

Hmmmm

I have a '97 XL and it makes the creaking as well, its NOT my ball joints or control arms, they are absolutely fine (and brand-new), it COULD be my wheel bearings but the one of the driver's side has been replaced twice already, I'm thinking its probably the mounts for my front dif, as the bushings look REALLY worn but to replace them is pricey as well because you get the hanger and the bushings for that as well. I'll keep you posted on whether changing that fixes it. Also, funny thing, it doesn't do the noise when its raining, you can feel the "loose" feeling still when the suspension moves over large bumps but no noise, so thats also why I think its the mounts for the front dif, because they are the closest to the ground.

The clunking is most likely ball joints mine started around 70K. Also check your front sway bar end links and bushings. Mine were bad clunking also.

Back