Front end rebuild questions

Kris02sport

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 explorer sport 2WD
Hey guys,

I got a couple of questions I need to know for sure before I set the light to green on my front end rebuild.

I really need to know if I can use 4x4 Explorer upper control arms w/ ball joints on my 2wd Explorer. Reason I ask is I want to use Moog or another reputable brand for ball joints. And I've been looking all over and all I can find are 4x4 UCA's and not the 2wd ones. So I'm asking, can I use 4x4 UCA's on a 2wd? I mean, there doesn't seem like there would be much difference between the two. Maybe the mounting on the two are different?

Also, has anyone had any experience with the ebay front end rebuild kits? I'm very reluctant to buy them, as they are probably cheap POS's. But if they are decent, I might try it. That and they come with everything. UCA's w/ ball joints, inner and outer tie-rod ends, and lower ball joints. Which is convenient...

Also if this has been covered, I'm sorry. I searched the forum high and low and couldn't find what I was looking for.

And another thing. If anyone has done their front end rebuild and has any parts, links, info, or anything they would recommend. Please let me know!

Thanks! -Kris

The 2wd and 4x4 should be interchangable.

You get what you pay for.

Make sure you read the full disclosure on the ebay listing! Most of the parts packages are "ok" for daily driver use. They are probably on par with cheapest generic parts house brands. There are higher-end component packages available, obviously at higher prices.

BUT I would not use any of these for offroad, street rods, modified raised/lowered vehicles, or towing applications. The cheapest set I found with a quick ebay search (120 for a full front end kit delivered) included this notice in their description:

"Our parts are brand new, OE BRAND (chassis parts) and ProQuality (wheel hubs), original quality chassis parts, aftermarket replacements from China, and come with a one-year warranty. These parts are made for stock specifications and are not meant for use on modified vehicles."

Check the stickies in the stock 95-01 section for install instructions with pics for all these parts.

I am probably going to buy the 4x4 ones and take the risk. I'm sure they will work though. And yeah my Explorer is lifted up on 33's so I definitely won't buy on eBay. Thanks for your input Romeoville. Much appreciated.

Back