Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Front End Vibration, Driving me Crazy!

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by mbrando1994, November 15, 2015.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. mbrando1994

mbrando1994 Active Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2003 Ford Ex XLT
      4.0 V6
      Hey all,

This has been a developing issue for about a month now (as I try and figure out what is to blame).

Whenever I drive my 03 Explorer over 55-60mph there is this horrible vibrating almost shaking feeling that resonates through the footwell and door, the entire front end basically shakes. There is however, no abnormal moving/vibrating of the steering shaft or wheel.

I also get this strange vibration in the foot well when going over bumps and bridge joists. It is not the normal feeling of going over a bump, there is a bit of vibration after the fact that lingers for about a second then goes away, and is constant at highway speeds of 60mph or greater. It also gets worse with speed.

I have already checked tire pressure, wear, and visually inspected all front end suspension parts. There is minor, and I mean extremely minor play in one of the front lower ball joints, hardly any movement at all. Both front upper arms and ball joints are brand new, two new rear struts were also just installed. (This vibrating occurred before both installs, this is me trying to remedy it).

I am taking it in for a balance, alignment, and possibly new tires tomorrow.

If this does not resolve this issue what am I looking for? My drive shaft looks awfully rusted but hasn't given me any issues hence far. Anyone out there who's experienced this and knows what it might be? Please let me know!

Thanks,

Brandon

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. dirtcrew51m

dirtcrew51m New Member

City, State:
      N.J.
      2003 Explorer 4.6
      Check cv shafts and the ujoints on the drive shafts. You will not feel them through the steering but it will vibrate everywhere else.

4. mbrando1994

2003 Ford Ex XLT
      4.0 V6
      This is what I was thinking, how exactly do I check them though? What am I looking for?

5. dirtcrew51m

dirtcrew51m New Member

City, State:
      N.J.
      2003 Explorer 4.6
      With the truck in park, grab the driveshaft and start moving it, look at the ujoints, if there is any play they are junk, I think the same applies to the cv joints.

6. mbrando1994

2003 Ford Ex XLT
      4.0 V6
      Okay, Now this truck has a front and rear drive shaft as well as the cv axles. Should I be looking at the cv axle itself or the inner/outer cv joints? This is an expensive problem to fix isn't it? Since it could be so many things.

7. bizzs

bizzs Active Member

City, State:
      Gibsonia Pennsylvania
      2018 Ford Explorer XLT
      I bought CV joints from Advanced auto with coupons. I bought the inner and outer and both came out to be about $68.00 per side. Excellent deal! Advanced had a hard time finding the inner ones locally and I had to wait a few days before I could pick them up at my local advance

Good luck
      bizzs

8. mbrando1994

2003 Ford Ex XLT
      4.0 V6
      So are we in agreement that this is something in the CV axles? Or would it be better to start with the U joints on the drive shafts?

9. dirtcrew51m

dirtcrew51m New Member

City, State:
      N.J.
      2003 Explorer 4.6
      The joints themselves. jack the front up, rotate the wheel, feel for any binding or looseness. Cv shafts are not that expensive, and the ujoints are about
      $20.00 or so. And even the ujoints any little wear will cause it to vibrate.

10. mbrando1994

2003 Ford Ex XLT
      4.0 V6
      ok Thank you, I've been working on this explorer but the drivetrain is all new to me, its that sort of 'scary' thing that you don't want to touch in fear of breaking it :)

I've mostly done work on the suspension and body but how hard is it to pull these shafts and replace the joints? Is this something I should take it to a shop for? I have a good deal of tools but not a torque wrench for the axle nut.

11. mbrando1994

2003 Ford Ex XLT
      4.0 V6
      In review the shaft if purchased as a whole around $80, should contain both joints? then the inner end fits into the front differential? I was mistaken, I thought the joint normally sat inside the differential. So that's what's underneath the two boots?

12. dirtcrew51m

dirtcrew51m New Member

City, State:
      N.J.
      2003 Explorer 4.6
      The cv joints are incorporated with the shaft, they are non servicable, which just slides into the differential, the ujoints you have to remove the driveshaft and either press or bang the old joints out.