• Register Today It's free!

front end vibration

soulpatch

Reaction score
City, State
Downingtown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
So I had an accident back at the end of May where a small SUV backed into my front left wheel and quarterpanel in a parking lot. Slow speed as he was pulling out of a space but damage non the less. Truck was driveable so i drove home.

Getting off the highway under hard braking I has some vibration from the front end (I believe) but not from the brake pedal directly which would have been indicitative of rotors or pads.

Truck goes into shop and they said they say nothing damaged and they balanced wheel and did alignment to be sure everything was straight. Said since under braking it has to be the rotors on the truck.

Took their word and lived with it for a bit as I was not hearing squealing or such to indicate brakes were worn and I could live with a small rattle only under harder braking. The past few weeks though it had gotten bad so I ordered in front rotors and pads and changed them out this week thinking my issues would be solved. Went out for test ride with new brakes and again under heavier braking I am still getting the vibration.

It is hard to explain but it is almost like a blown wheel bearing where the wheel is loose and vibrating around but I do not notice this under normal driving or easier braking like one would expect from a bearing. My calipers on the front looked fine and slid around without catching so I dont think they are biting incorrectly.

Has anyone had this happen to them or can think of potential issues? I am having a hard time thinking of what it might be as it only happens under harder braking (not close to locking up by any means but forceful braking where the truck dips the front end...)

My thoughts all revolve around bent axle (though I should feel this more often), cv joint (should hear knock on turning), suspension parts (why no rattle under normal driving), caliper (looked fine), ect. I am somewhat at a loss here.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Sorry for longer post....

Back