Front hub brand?

DavidEBSmith

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'07 Mountaineer Premier
Time to replace front hubs. Any brands better or worse than others? Any bad experiences to keep away from? Rock Auto has Power Stop (cheap), WJB (cheap), Centric (mid), Timken, Moog, AC Delco, SKF (not cheap). Ford OEM most $ of all.

SKF & Timken I've heard of, but that doesn't always mean anything anymore. Example, the terrible steering head bearings from Slovakia in my BMW motorcycle that last about 10K miles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

An excellent question. I've held to Timken bearings but only because of what I've heard here.
I've heard some bad things about the 'cheap' auto store or Ebay bearings.
I've heard some good things about the 'cheap' auto store or Ebay bearings.
I remember one time I read an account of a cheaper bearing that failed - and I quote to the best of my memory - 'the minute I put it on the ground'. I think it's fair to discount that particular personal experience.
I think it's fair to remember that not everyone should replace a bearing - while not particularly complex there are opportunities to screw it up (particularly a rear bearing).
I like to think that the internet is comprised of at most 1% of people that actually know what they are talking about - there is an additional 75% (I'm being very generous here) that has no experience in the topic but are more than happy to repost what they have heard so that they can appear more knowledgeable than they will ever be.

The remaining 24%?

Please shoot on sight. Thank you.

I'll release the podium now for the best bearing. Good luck OP.

Time to replace front hubs. Any brands better or worse than others? Any bad experiences to keep away from? Rock Auto has Power Stop (cheap), WJB (cheap), Centric (mid), Timken, Moog, AC Delco, SKF (not cheap). Ford OEM most $ of all.

SKF & Timken I've heard of, but that doesn't always mean anything anymore. Example, the terrible steering head bearings from Slovakia in my BMW motorcycle that last about 10K miles.
I haven’t done this yet but I have heard Moog tossed around on here a lot. Seems like they get reccomended. They might have a lifetime warranty. Not sure though

For the past 10 years I have used Motorcraft HUB67 (Made by Timken) for about $ 170 on Amazon (the pasrt catalog calls for HUB29 on my 06).
I get many miles out of them. Usually replace them before they need to be replaced because I chase some noises that end up not the hubs.

I haven’t done this yet but I have heard Moog tossed around on here a lot. Seems like they get reccomended. They might have a lifetime warranty. Not sure though
Now that you mention it I've used Moog on the rear. The Timken is on the front. For the rears I always buy the kit that includes a new hub. Fairly cheap insurance against the old hub being damaged during pressing.

I have 2 brand new Ford/Motorcraft ones I’ll sell you.
They are what Ford calls ‘high level service design’...the part number is GM2Z-1104-E or NHUB-6.
List price at your dealer is $324.20 each. I will ship them to your door for $195.00 each...they are $205.00 on Amazon.
I don’t have a 4th gen Explorer anymore, so I don’t need them.

Went with the Timken because Amazon can get them here Tuesday and after I drove the truck today and heard how bad it is, the sooner the better. :eek:

I believe it will work out well for you. I have a feeling from your posts that you know what you are doing and it is honestly hard to lose when you supply the labor. In a way, that's an argument for the absolute cheapest bearings that you can find. Except we all really have better things to do than constant bearing swaps :thumbsup:

Someone recommended Timken to me a long time ago. I've always used them, and never been disappointed.
I didn't know Moog made hubs/bearings. I like Moog for end links, bushings, and other such suspension bits, especially their "Problem Solver" line.

Been there, done that. Went the cheap ebay route Pro Choice and regretted it, Odds of defective unit is high and quality so far as tolerances. They did not last. There is a lot of work that goes into replacing these and a good quality Moog or Timken unit would be my recommendation. I have replaced my cheap fronts with Moog units. Unfortunately I still have one in the rear, but it seems to be holding. The rears need to be pressed in and teh knuckle removed so it is even more work to replace once, nevermind several times.

You may be able to find soem Moog or Timken units on ebay for a better price, just make sure you buy new. I routinely have searches for these to see when a good deal emerges.

+1 for Moog. Got my front hub from rockauto. Right now it's $157 there

hi all

is it any chance that motorcraft hubs are actually chinese made?

i cant even determine what bearing brand they use inside. anyways,mine driver side one gone after 20000 miles (local ford dealer installation).

the old Fomoco ones has Timken bearings inside,coated wheel lugs and Fomoco engraving.
this Nhub6 motorcraft so-called service kit ones looks like the most cheap hubs.

I just replaced both my fronts with Timken. While I can't say how long they will last, they seemed like high quality. Every place the wire attaches was just like factory.

hi all

is it any chance that motorcraft hubs are actually chinese made?

i cant even determine what bearing brand they use inside. anyways,mine driver side one gone after 20000 miles (local ford dealer installation).

the old Fomoco ones has Timken bearings inside,coated wheel lugs and Fomoco engraving.
this Nhub6 motorcraft so-called service kit ones looks like the most cheap hubs.
The factory bearings were unlikely to have been made in China. And, for the record China has some of THE BEST manufacturing in the world. People hear China and automatically assign it as a lessor part. You get what you pay for. If you buy a $75 wheel bearing, it’ll be a crap shoot no matter where it was made. If they can make an iPhone they can certainly make a bearing.

I'd recommend Timken or Moog. I have been the route of changing these hubs on the 1/2 dozen cars I own. I used to order some of the brands like Detroit Axle, etc. but with the labor involved (mine or paying someone) it is just not worth the savings as you will be replacing in 6-12 months.
I have had some luck finding Moog hubs between the $60 - $85 range, so the deals are out there. Just need to find them. Also, when buying 2 piece bearing and hubs (my 2008 Explorer rear wheels use these), do not worry that the bearing is labelled National. Both Moog and National brands are from the same company (Federal Mogul)

I'd recommend Timken or Moog. I have been the route of changing these hubs on the 1/2 dozen cars I own. I used to order some of the brands like Detroit Axle, etc. but with the labor involved (mine or paying someone) it is just not worth the savings as you will be replacing in 6-12 months.
I have had some luck finding Moog hubs between the $60 - $85 range, so the deals are out there. Just need to find them. Also, when buying 2 piece bearing and hubs (my 2008 Explorer rear wheels use these), do not worry that the bearing is labelled National. Both Moog and National brands are from the same company (Federal Mogul)
This isn’t entirely true. SOME Moog are made by Federal Mogul. Some they source from Timken, and from many other suppliers, I’m assuming. Branding doesn’t mean what it once did, and now companies aren’t in one country, they source all over the globe for various reasons.

This isn’t entirely true. SOME Moog are made by Federal Mogul. Some they source from Timken, and from many other suppliers, I’m assuming. Branding doesn’t mean what it once did, and now companies aren’t in one country, they source all over the globe for various reasons.
Federal-Mogul owns Moog and National brands. Timken is its own entity. Find it a little hard to believe that two competing companies would supply a major component to their competition...especially an assembly like a hub. Are you telling me there is actually Coke in my Pepsi? In any event, I'll stand by my recommendation of Timken or Moog.

Federal-Mogul owns Moog and National brands. Timken is its own entity. Find it a little hard to believe that two competing companies would supply a major component to their competition...especially an assembly like a hub. Are you telling me there is actually Coke in my Pepsi? In any event, I'll stand by my recommendation of Timken or Moog.
Federal Mogul may own both, but do you think they manufacture all of them in house? I’ll tell you they do not. They both get parts from third parties who make bearings for anyone who will buy them.

Also, Moog quality has drastically gone downhill in the last few years. I’ve had Moogs fail on my Escape in under a year. I’ve had cheap ones fail in similar amounts of time. They’ve had to offer cheaper options because it’s hard to sell a $250 hub next to a $100 item.

Federal Mogul may own both, but do you think they manufacture all of them in house? I’ll tell you they do not. They both get parts from third parties who make bearings for anyone who will buy them.

Also, Moog quality has drastically gone downhill in the last few years. I’ve had Moogs fail on my Escape in under a year. I’ve had cheap ones fail in similar amounts of time. They’ve had to offer cheaper options because it’s hard to sell a $250 hub next to a $100 item.
Not sure, but until I see evidence of a National bearing included in my Timken hub pack, like in the Moog I buy, I am not convinced. I actually called the company as I was confused why a National bearing and Moog hub was included. They explained they were both owned and manufactured under the Federal Mogul parent company umbrella. I have not experienced any premature wear issues on my 2008 Explorer XLT, 1995 Explorer Sport when using Moog hubs or bearing and hub combinations. Only ran into problems when selecting an off brand. Both have been owned since new (13 and 26 years respectively). Other than hubs I have replaced on other cars for family and friends, this is the only first-hand evidence I can submit in response to the OP for a recommendation. I think the most I have paid from a hub was around $100.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well

This is the OEM chinese one.service grade so-called
Screenshot_20211108-201926_Chrome.jpg

Back