Front Hub - plastic cam wont slide on | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front Hub - plastic cam wont slide on

emfjsullivan

Reaction score
City, State
herdnon, va
Year, Model & Trim Level
Navajo (Explorer Spt) '93
I just changed the rotor on my 93 Navajo 4x4 (auto hub) and was re-assembling all the components. I can't seem to get my plastic cam piece to slide back onto the spindle shaft. It was a little hard pulling it off, but it did come off. I'm aligning the tab on the fixed cam to the spindle, but it doesn't seem to be fitting into the slot on the spindle.

I haven't forced it w/ any tool yet as I'd like to hear if anyone else has had this problem and any pointers on getting it back on.

I'm really dumbfounded because it did just slide off!

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you tried turning the hub?

EDIT - Oh wait, you said plastic cam piece... I don't remember how that all went back together... sorry...

When I did mine, it just took a lot of push to get it to slide on: pushing, grunting, skinning knuckles, etc. I don't know what else to tell you. It isn't easy but it will go back on with some effort.

I finally did get it back on. What I did was go to Sears and bought a 3.5" length of 1 1/2" diameter pipe so I could apply even pressure to the whole cam. A few pushes and choice words and it did finally slide back on.

Thanks for the encouragement!

That pipe sounds like it was a good idea.

Yeah those cams can be a pain. I remeber doing the same thing. Until I switched to manuals.

Brian

Back