Front Passenger Side Squeal When Turning & Creaking While Driving Straight | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front Passenger Side Squeal When Turning & Creaking While Driving Straight

aberrant

Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer EB
I have a 99 Explorer that is making a lot of noise from the front passenger side. I've done my homework and it looks like others have reported loose caliper bolts, a loose brake line, or torsion bar trouble.

I'm thinking it's the torsion bar, as it does not squeal when turning all the way to the right. When turning all the way to left, you can hear a squeal like rubber on rubber. Also, that front passenger side is incredibly noisy (very very loud creaking) when going over bumps or stopping or starting abruptly. I thought it was my shocks, but those were replaced not too long ago. Ball joints and lower control arms were also replaced a couple years ago and look good. No leaks that I can see from the CV boots and sway bar bushings look okay.

A mechanic also suspected the torsion bars, but didn't have time to put the truck on the lift. Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't see you mentioning anything about the front hub bearing assemblies.

I don't see you mentioning anything about the front hub bearing assemblies.

Good point. I do have some very light whining from the front wheel bearings. There may be more than one issue going on here, but would the front hub bearing assemblies make noise when turning while parked?

Have some move the steering wheel back and forth in park, while you look for movement of the steering rack side to side.

Also note movement at either end of the tie rods. You will not be able to see the inner tie rod ends under the bellows boots, but you might be able to hear the noise and identify it's source.

Looking upward inside the wheel area, look for abnormal movement at the wheel to hub surface where it meets the spindle.

I had a friend whose Ford Ranger had a similar squeak from that general area. Turned out it was a loose/broken dust shield behind the caliper. He had gone off-roading and must have hit a rock wrong and it bent the dust shield enough for it to scrape.

Update: It was my lower ball joint on the passenger side. Wasn't bad, just needed to be greased. Somehow the Zerk fitting was damaged and wasn't accepting new grease. I also didn't know that these should be greased at every oil change, which they hadn't been ever since I replaced them around 30k miles ago.

Back