Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Front seat issue

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by ucluglee, April 13, 2013.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. ucluglee

ucluglee Member

City, State:
    Greenville, SC
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '00 XLT
    I got in my Explorer Wednesday morning like usual to go to work, and I had my phone in my pocket. So I leaned back in the seat, not excessively of anything, to get my phone out of my pocket and a heard a slight "click" or maybe "snap" from under my seat. No big deal I thought. The vehicle is 13 years old, it's going to make funny noises. So I backed out of my driveway, put it in drive, and hit the gas. When the acceleration pushed me back in my seat a little, I noticed the front left bottom of my seat was raising up a little. So I stopped and got out and pushed back on the top of the seat and sure enough I could see the left side of the seat move up. So I got back in and went on to work. When I got there I got out and took a look under the seat.

[​IMG]

This is the bar that raises and lowers the front of the seat (power seats). I know what the fix is. There's a place here in town that you can remove parts yourself from junked cars. I can get a power frame for about $30. I've replaced a few in the past but never on my own vehicle.

My question is, has anyone else had this happen to them?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. ponkotsu

ponkotsu Active Member

City, State:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    2005 Lincoln Aviator
    Looks like a pretty unusual failure. Takes a lot of force or stress to break something that strong. Maybe it was cracked from the beginning? Maybe the previous driver was a regular at the Chinese buffet?

4. koda2000

koda2000 Explorer Addict

x
    i'm thinking more likely the latter... or maybe he was a Golden Corral fan.

5. FIND

FIND Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Vermillion, SD
    99 XLT V8 AWD
    Check with your dealer. I think there was a recall on that part.

6. ucluglee

ucluglee Member

City, State:
    Greenville, SC
    '00 XLT
    I'm pretty sure it wasn't an overweight previous driver issue. I bought the Explorer in December of 1999 with 12 miles on it. And no, it's not an overweight current driver issue either. :)

Stupid question, but will the dealer (cringe) honor a recall on a 13 year old vehicle?

7. FIND

FIND Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Vermillion, SD
    99 XLT V8 AWD
    Yeah they will, but I believe I was mistaken. I think the recall on the seat was actually on a bolt for the back or the recliner. I heard about it when I brought my Explorer in a few months ago for the cruise control brake switch recall, but I didn't have them perform it because I was pressed for time. Haven't gotten around to going back since.