1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Front wheel bearings-1995 vs. 1993-The cost-Also suspension quality pre 1995

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by hank19-1, December 12, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. hank19-1

hank19-1 New Member

City, State:
      Burlington Iowa
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      95 XLT
      Tomorrow I'm going to look at a 1993 Explorer with 105,000 miles. I'm the guy who uses the 95 Explorer on a mailroute. Last year I found out that one of the front wheel bearings was bad. My mechanic(I trust this guy) told me that the 95 bearing is a hub assembly and the cost+labor would be $350. Although I feel that is "quite" the price to pay my other route car(93 Dodge Spirit)has the same type of hub assembly and they run $125 to replace. I know for the model year 95 the Explorer changed quite a bit. Does the 93 Explorer have the same front wheel bearing set-up as the 95? If not what is the cost to replace the wheel bearing for the 93? While we are at it does the 94 Explorer and earlier drive and handle as good as the 95 and later? I must admit that my 95 handles "very well". I know I will find this out when I test drive the 93 but sure would like your opinions. I will be only using this vehicle on a mailroute so my "cost per mile" is very important. Thanks for your input! John

Last edited: December 12, 2004
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. NOTAJP

NOTAJP Moderator Emeritus Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Mountain Home AFB, ID
      No more Exploder
      To replace the bearings on a 1st Gen, is much cheaper as the bearings are more of the traditional style and not a hub assembly. The ride will be better on your 2nd Gen due to the torsion bars and A-arm front suspension. The '93 will have rear drum brakes as well. How a truck drives and feels will be totally up to you and what you want it to be.

4. etc

etc Dead Inside

City, State:
      Miami, FL
      '96 XLT 2WD
      Is your 95 a 2wd or a 4wd/awd?

5. DeRocha

DeRocha NEX Vice President Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Brockton, MA
      '93 XLT 4x4
      The front bearings in a 1st gen 4WD (91-94) are about $10 ea and you need 2 per side for a total of 4. Because of the design these bearings are removed whenever you need to remove the rotor (for brake resurfacing etc). So if you do it yourself you can save a lot of $$$. The ride in 2nd gen is better (go figure ;) )

6. metalmessiah

metalmessiah New Member

City, State:
      Bham, AL.
      '95 XLT Control Trac
      I am having bearing troubles on my '95 XLT 4WD. is there any way to replce the bearings without swapping the whole hub assembly?