• Register Today It's free!

Front wheel hub bearing assembly

Gse Brent

Reaction score
City, State
Small Wonder
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trac
Have a 01 ST 4wd with 110k on it. Just bought 15x10 wheels and doing 33x12.50 tires any recommendations on what brand hub/bearing assembly to go with? I've been searching on ebay and see all kinds of brands ie like motorcraft, raybestos, timken etc etc etc. I saw one set for $88 by some company called dearborn axle. But on the other hand i've seen a set of timkens for $270. I heard timken is a good brand. Any advice?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In Canada I had not much of a choice. All the good name brands, including OE were within $10 of each other, so I went OE. It has Timken bearings in it. BTW- $306 up here.

I also say go with Timken, check Rock Auto and A1 auto they're both forum supporters and search rock auto on this forum and you get a discount code. You should get 1 for under $200.00.

Last I knew, Rock had the Timkens for like $120 or so, 1AAuto.com was pretty much the same price after Rock added their shipping charges.

Timken, Timken, Timken...

I found timkens for $125 on ebay or amazon. The cheap hubs don't last long at all.

Thanks alot for the tips, i found the timkens on rockauto for $210 shipped. $80 cheaper than ebay. Off to the next subject (upper control arms). I want Moog but for the passenger side it lists 2 different options. 1 pc design and 2 pc design. Did the sport tracs come with one or the other version on various models?

I just replaced the uppers and lowers on my '03 ST 4wd with Raybestos ProGrade series parts two weeks ago. I originally bought the two piece design for my ST for more adjustablilty for alignment but the side-to-side adjustment bolt snapped due to rust so I ordered the one piece upper control arm.

You can use either, check the UCA bushings on your trac and see if they are still good then go with the two piece design, if not get the one piece. I also installed the caster camber bolt kits for both sides.

I just got done replacing the uppers and lowers on my wifes '97 Mountaineer and used the two piece design upper arm originally bought for the ST on it and caster camber bolt kits.

It's a pretty easy job to do. You'll need 13/16 and 7/8" wrenches for the uppers, 15mm for the spindle nut, I used a large crescent wrench on the lower ball joint castle nut. Also you'll need a 13mm wrench for the caliper bolts, 15mm caliper bracket bolts, 32mm socket for the CV axle nut.

I would strongly suggest replacing the lower Ball joints while you have things apart since you'll need to get an alignment anyway.

I agree- do them all now...

Thanks alot for the tips, i found the timkens on rockauto for $210 shipped. $80 cheaper than ebay. Off to the next subject (upper control arms). I want Moog but for the passenger side it lists 2 different options. 1 pc design and 2 pc design. Did the sport tracs come with one or the other version on various models?

I buy Timken hub assemblies off of Amazon for about $120 each shipped. I hope that was for 2 hubs right?

I buy Timken hub assemblies off of Amazon for about $120 each shipped. I hope that was for 2 hubs right?

Yea RockAuto was $99ea. before shipping. They have really good prices probably the best i've seen online.

Yeah, rockauto does have good pricing.

Back