Front windshield wipers randomly turn on | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front windshield wipers randomly turn on

RoccoMitolo

Reaction score
City, State
Northeastern Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer
Hey everyone, Rocco here. New to the Forum. I've browsed it for years when I've had trouble with my '02 Explorer, always with great success. This time I haven't quite found what I'm looking for, so I joined the forum in the hopes one of you might have an answer for me.

As mentioned above, I have an '02 Explorer, V6. Starting this summer, any time it's been really hot the wipers automatically turn on when I start the vehicle. At first it was only when it was hot out, never in the morning, never at night. Usually I would have to flip back and forth between turning them on/off manually a few times and it would stop.

Recently, it's been happening any time while driving and lasting longer. Sometimes putting the turn signal on will make it stop, sometimes not. Sometimes flipping them back and forth will stop them, again, sometimes not. Lately I've found just a quick up/down touch on the lever will do the trick, but then again, sometimes not.

I was thinking maybe just a bad turn signal/wiper lever? I don't know. I saw a few posts about grounds in the wires getting ripped off or going bad and that causing issues. I'm stumped.

If you all think it is the lever, if someone could point me in the right direction to the best place to get a replacement and maybe instructions, or a video on how to install it, that'd be awesome.

again, thanks in advance! The vehicle is getting pretty old, and I don't yet have the funds to get a new one, so I'm sure I'll be here a lot more often as more things start failing!

I got that same issue, I replaced the multi-switch and problem is gone.

DIY 2002 - 2005 Ford Explorer/Mercury Mountaineer 100K
Facebook

you can buy the multi switch at rockauto.com.
I have replaced the switch as well and it solved the problem for about 8 months and now it is doing the same thing. There has to be an underlying problem that is making the switch go bad to begin with, especially considering my situation when the switch is replaced and 8 months down the road it is acting up again.

Back