fuel delivery issues, truck stranded | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

fuel delivery issues, truck stranded

jad2411

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
El Paso, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Brown eb
Hi all here's the story about 3 weeks ago truck started stalling and there was no fuel pressure, so I took it to shop and they replaced the fuel pump. Worked great for 3 days then it died on the freeway we towed it to another shop and they said a line was broken by the previous shop. That's yesterday truck ran great all day yesterday today it left us stranded...it's I raining a lot and many cars are being towed so no tow trucks available and the available ones are charging an arm and a leg. So I need help on what to do.
Fuel pump replaced twice, relay replaced, fuel filter replaced, fuel line replaced I can hear the fuel pump but truck won't start or will start and die in less than 5 seconds

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Get a fuel pressure gauge and check fuel pressure at the fuel rail. There should be a Schrader valve there. Im guessing you have a 4.0 sohc motor, and Im not real familiar with that setup.

Someone will chime in with location of the valve, Im sure.

Since you hear the pump when you turn the ignition on I doubt its pump or relay. The issue might not even be fuel related. Ignition? You did say its raining pretty bad.

Thanks Dono issue has been going on for 3 Weeks now, first 2 times there was no pressure at the rail so they replaced the pump both times second time they also replaced the relay and a fuel line from inside the tank. Rain had nothing to do with this, but it's keeping me from troubleshooting the issue and from getting a tow truck

strange. Check for pressure at the rail again when the issue is occurring. pressure regulator issue?

It's happening all the time now :( the fuel pressure regulator is inside the tank, so not something I can check was told yesterday that the harness might be bad, so gonna try to check that today

How are you making out? I doubt it's the wiring harness, as you hear the fuel pump turn on. Are you sure fuel pressure is low when this occurs?

Again, I've never heard of anyone on this site saying their pressure regulator has gone. Not saying that you can't be the first though

Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? They really aren't expensive,
. My level of trust in a lot of shops isn't very high. I like to prove for myself what's wrong
You really need to check that fuel pressure when your truck won't start.

Thanks for the follow up Dono, we got the truck back from the shop, and it's working again. Apparently the fuel line they had previously replaced at the other shop wasn't clamped so it came lose, also the first shop lost or broke the fuel filter lock, so it's zip tied now :rolleyes: .
Now they told me to go get the fuel injectors cleaned to fix a small stutter

The good news is that it's fixed. Sorry about the issues with the shop.

Back