Fuel Filter Removal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Filter Removal

RVerdejo

Reaction score
Trying to put a new fuel filter in my 96 with the 5.0L engine. My Chilton's is non-specific on the removal procedure, and the connectors don't really match any of the illustrations. Try as I might, I can't get the *^&%^&% lines off the filter.

Is there a requirment for a special tool?? It doen't look like the duck bill, hairpin clip, or spring lock fitting, and I can't get a flashlight in there to get a real good look-see.

Any help from a previously frustrated 5.0L owner would be greatly appreciated.

------------------
Don't Worry about things you can control...
Don't Worry about things you cannot control.

96 Eddie Bauer AWD V8

[This message has been edited by RVerdejo (edited 07-20-1999).]

Whatever happened to simple hose clamps?

Anyhow, I'll try to help. The fuel fittings outside of the engine compartment are called "quick connect couplings". You need a quick disconnect tool for these fittings. Apparently, according to the Haynes manual I have, there are 3 that may be needed. One tool is for 5/16" fittings, another for 3/8" fittings, and one for the pressure regulator fittings.

1) Pull off safety clip
2) align tool on fitting
3) push tool into the fitting body to release the retaining fingers holding the male tube end.
4) when the fingers release, pull the male end from the female end and remove the tool

Of course you need to check that the fittings were not damaged before reconnecting, and then clean the fitting off.

For reassembly, simply align the fittings and push the male end hard into the female end. You will hear a click when they are securely attached. pull on the fitting to assure that it is locked. Reattach safety clip.

Hoep this helps you. If not, The procedure is diagramed in the Haynes manual, along with procedures for other fittings on the vehicle.

Thanks for the reply...guess I'll go down to the parts store and get the tool. Once I get this done, I may post the procedure (with pix).

I'll let you know how it turns out.

------------------
Don't Worry about things you can control...
Don't Worry about things you cannot control.

96 Eddie Bauer AWD V8

Back