Fuel Filter Replacement w/pics | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Filter Replacement w/pics

Since I have my Explorer apart to install new timing chain tensioners I decided it would be a good time to change my fuel filter. After all, I have the original filter on there and 125,000 miles on my Explorer. So it seemed like a good time.

The special tool worked OK. I used a screwdriver to gently push it into the fitting all the way, then the hose came off easily on the filter output side. However... the two hoses on the input side gave me hell! I spent almost an hour getting those two off, and that's after reading how they attach. The red clips did not want to push up! I had to use a screwdriver to get them up. I was thinking how I'd like to take my old filter and "present" it to the engineer who designed the fittings. What a PITA!!

But, the new filter is in. Once I get my timing chain tensioners and cassettes installed (new parts got here yesterday) I can power everything up and check for leaks. I pray there are no leaks because I don't even want to think about dealing with those hose connections again.

Thanks for the instructions on how to change my filter. Despite my troubles the instructions were very helpful.

Val

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yet another fuel filter attempted here. I FAILED MISERABLY! After replacing my wires and plugs I figured I would give the fuel filter a try. Using the instructions herein I had no problem locating it. I got the funny clip to disengage, but getting the pink clips off was a killer. I was able to flip one side of the clip on both lines but not the other side. After reading cautionary tales here about the Ned to replace the lines if the clips broke I quickly changed m DIY tune! I put everything back together and took it to Mister Car Wash where they charged $20 for labor. WELL WORTH THE MONEY!
I didn't break any lines.

I read this thread and was prepared for a fight. Got the X jacked up and removed the Heat Shield and Plastic Cover without much difficulty.

Great tip on removing Relay #48 (under hood) and starting car. Depleted the fuel pressure easily.

Good tip is to reattach the filter with the two nuts (that hold the plastic cover on) to steady the filter. Got the output side off using the metal tool and putting an open end wrench in between the filter and fuel line and pushing the wrench to move the tool into the outlet line while holding the fuel line. This let the outlet line come off the filter. Have a rag/catch tray handy to collect the fuel that will drain out of the filter.

The red clip on the inlet side was a bit more challenging. On my car the clip was hinged on the end that was at the front of the car. I was able to unclip it with my hand from the side that was at the rear of the car and then push up the red clip to free the inlet line to the filter. Removed the two nuts that I reinstalled to hold the filter and then reassembled it in reverse order.

All told about an hour. 81k miles on the filter and it seemed to be ok. Not as grungy as some of them have been in other postings.

I spent about 4 hours replacing my fuel filter today. I agree with all those who said it's a real PITA. The scissor tool I bought at Advanced Auto was made in China and wouldn't work the way it's supposed to because the two halves didn't line up correctly. I exchanged it for another one which didn't work either so I ended up pulling the output end of the filter from the hose by brute strength and bent up the little spring things, which I bent back into place with needle nose pliers. On the input end I broke the plastic piece and ended up attaching the line to the filter with duct tape and two hose clamps (see picture). I'm going to see if I can find another plastic piece but if not I'll just leave it the way it is and hope for the best. I still don't understand why Ford felt the need to place it where it is. It definitely wasn't one of Ford's better ideas....:thumbdwn: :rolleyes: :thumbdwn:

389573227.jpg

Don't remember for sure but I think the red clip was a locking clip and the filter still snapped in and the clip locked it. If not then your method is super dangerous!

Slide the tool in and it should pop off (I read that somewhere). My Arse!

I get the tool in there with a screwdriver, wrench and a prybar. It is still on there. Heck, the center of the filter is coming out!

I Can't get it off, let alone think about the other two.

I put it back together before I broke something and had to have it towed to fix. I have to have the trans flushed so i will have them change the filter too. Hope they grease me before they do me!

TipperT, please don't be ofended, as I mean no harm or fowl, But:

Hope they grease me before they do me!

I was on the floor when I read this. I know your situation sucks and I don't mean to make light of it, but come on, I was cracking up:bounce:

Hope everything turns out OK. - Rondo

TipperT, please don't be ofended, as I mean no harm or fowl, But:

I was on the floor when I read this. I know your situation sucks and I don't mean to make light of it, but come on, I was cracking up:bounce:

Hope everything turns out OK. - Rondo

No worries. I hope I still have something to use back there after I go to the stealer!

Took it to Kwik Kar and had the filter changed. It said Motorcraft on it so there is a strong chance it was original. They said a bunch of junk came out of the line too. It took em a bit to get it off and had two people under there, They said they replace the clip too.

$30 labor and $15 for the filter. They can do that job every time! lol

If you have one of these by you, spend the $30 for the labor.

The Only Keys are:

USE ONLY THE CORRECT TOOL
RELEASE PREASURE BEFORE YOU START (Remove relay 48 with engine running and wait..)
DONT USE FORCE (You are not Superman, its not necessary). period

Time to release fuel filter of hoses for a newbie (like me):

Using Correct Tool = 15 seconds.
Using wrog Tool = 1 to 3 hours. IT IS A REAL PITA !!!!! (Ford guys: very funny)

I used a wrong tool, a China made metal scissor like tool. Well, that cheap tool dont close compleatly, so after 2 hours of tries (and after some sweat, damns and my finger injured) i had to use an abrasive file to make tool to close perfectly around filter ends (using new filter for reference). After that, 15 seconds to remove filter´s output hose. Thanks China, for your good quality tools.

Be carefull with red clip at other (input) hose. Its very easy (little trick) to open it (dont break it). Lebowski: FIX IT IMEDIATLY with a right clip. You are using gasoline under pressure.. be carefull. Gasoline dissolved some tapes.

Lebowski: FIX IT IMMEDIATELY with a right clip. You are using gasoline under pressure.. be careful. Gasoline dissolved some tapes.

No problems so far. I thought that clip wasn't being made by anyone? If someone knows where to get them or has an extra one let me know....:thumbsup:

No problems so far. I thought that clip wasn't being made by anyone? If someone knows where to get them or has an extra one let me know....:thumbsup:

not sure on the clip, but got a ?

On the output side of the filter, there are 4 tabs that the fuel filter pushes into/releases. Is one of them tabs bent at a 90 degree ? I did my filter with the metal scissor tool and had to use some tools to pry it into the metal tabs. I really wasnt prying that hard. I seen that 3 metal tabs are bent at a 45 degree angle, and one was bent at a 90. I tried to bend it back with some needle nose , but it wasnt bending at all. That is the reason I think there was no way the force I put on it would bend it at a 90.

SO anyone have a picture of their metal tabs on the output side of the fuel filter?

When I did mine, It clicked back in like normal. Just curious.

My filter took a hour start to finish, Wasnt horriable. But i can see this being easier to get at/ remove though.

I've read a post somewhere about 1 of the tabs being a different angle and that this was normal. If you check through the fuel filter threads you might see it as I saw it just the other day.

I remember a old post with pics of a inside view of connector. try to find it, i was not able... Good Luck.

Replacing the filter solved a problem I was having. It would stall sometimes at an idle and would not start for about ten minutes - this was when it was on E or very close to it. It would turn over and but not start. It did it about 10 more times but the length of time before it would actually start increased to a couple hours (dead battery, it only cranks so many times, lol.) and it started doing it a quarter tank.

One time the wife had to drive two hours just to give me a jump, that was the last time.

Looks like the filter was original (Motorcraft stamped on it) and lasted about 130,000. So every 15,000 is a crock to me. MIL said she never had it changed and saw none of her receipts saying it was.

So, really just saying if yours does this, change the filter whether you do it or someone else does.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I done mine a few days ago thanks for the help guys.
STU

Back