fuel filter suprise

LONO100

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bay Area CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 sport trac XLT
so ive been sitting on a new fuel filter that ive been meaning to change but been putting off because of all of the horror stories about fuel filter changes on the forum, but i finally got off my arse and got under there to change it. i bought a little plastic fuel filter tool for 2 bucks. i dont know if it was the tool, or the fact that there isnt any salt on our roads, but i changed that sucker in literally 12 minutes! i was readign stories of guys under there for 5 hours with no luck, and videos of rusted out lines. i guess i lucked out.

if you are looking to change your filter out, make sure you get the tool, i dont know how it would be possible to get the lines disconnected without it. ill take a picture and post it when i can to show which one worked so well for me. pull the fuel pump fuse (or relay depending on your year X), then run the engine until it cuts off. this will remove any excess fuel pressure and keep you from getting it in the face. another tip, get the two inlet lines off first, then work the clip off the engine side of the filter, then pull the filter off the holder and point down and let all the fuel drain into a bucket or cup. after that, its best to twist the the filter like it's screwed onto the line while separating the line from the filter. mine came off in a few seconds. putting the new one on is literally a few snaps and youre done. clean any excess fuel, put the fuel pump fuse back in and test her out!

im glad i changed it too because immediately after i changed the filter, my truck was starting a lot swifter than before, and im looking forward to seeing any types of MPG gains. next up, im taking dora in to get a full tranny flush. wish me luck!

Cool dude! Glad it was uneventful for you. I have seen filter changes go bad. In Nova Scotia they dump a great deal of salt on the roads in the winter and it causes a lot of problems.

Good times. I changed mine very quickly with the tool as well. It was a pleasant surprise for me, since my truck originally came from Vermont. Everything else under there is rusty as hell. :D

Back