1. Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Dismiss Notice

Fuel pressure issue.

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by poksmot_420, August 27, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tags:
  1. poksmot_420

poksmot_420 New Member

City, State:
    Taylor,MI
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2007 explorer 4.0 4x4
    i have a 2001 ex sport 4.0 , i think my fuel pump is going bad so i checked the pressure, hooked up gauge turned on the key and got 40 psi, started the truck and got 62 psi. but at WOT it drops to 40psi, and after idling for a few min the needle will bounce from 60 to 62... is this normal??? the problems i have been having is first start up after sitting for a long time is rough, and a couple times last week when i pull out of somewhere fast it cuts out then starts to go again. any ideas????

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Moderator & long time member. Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Brooklyn, NY
    88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
  4. Lube

Lube Active Member

City, State:
    Oklahoma
    95 XLT
    Replace the filter and clean the MAF.

5. yavapaires

yavapaires Active Member

City, State:
    Dewey, Az
    1996 XLT
    Does your EX have a vacuum controlled fuel pressure regulator? If so, check for vacuum leak, or pressure regulator is going bad. Plus the above posts about the filter.

6. poksmot_420

poksmot_420 New Member

City, State:
    Taylor,MI
    2007 explorer 4.0 4x4
    Well I changed plugs, wires and cleaned throttle body, was running great for a few days until I took a long trip today, it wanted to stall when rpm dropped under 2000, so I pulled of the road and hooked up fuel pressure gauge to see what was going on. It idled rough but didn't stall, everytime the rpm would drop the pressure gauge dropped to 20psi then back to 60psi... so I let it sit for an hour or so started it up and it drove fine for about half hour.... so I think fuel pump is going.... any ideas before o replace pump.....

7. ranger7ltr

ranger7ltr Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Great State of Texas
    1999 Sport
    Did you replace the fuel filter yet?