fuel pressure or tps | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

fuel pressure or tps

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 ford explorer EB
i have a rough idle, so i checked my fuel pressure and it woudnt hold 30-45 psi when i turn the key, so then i thought it would be the fuel presure regulator. but they are 125 dollars so i thought before i spent that money i would ask a few questions to make sure its not a 25 dollar tps sensor. is there anyway that the tps could be the cause of the drop of the fuel pressure? and every once and i while i smell gas when i get out of my car, i have heard that this is a sign of tps sensor. i will check the tps sensor to make sure that it is getting power. can any1 give me some advice of what to do first?

i wanna know if a bad tps coud casue a drop in fuel pressure. because cas returns to the tank if it needs to?

i wanna know if a bad tps coud casue a drop in fuel pressure.
The answer to this question is no. The FPR is a basic mechanical back pressure regulator with no electronics involved at all.

If I follow your diagnostics so far, I'm not sure I would be convinced that the FPR is bad, yet.
so i checked my fuel pressure and it woudnt hold 30-45 psi when i turn the key,
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this test. If assume this is a KOEO reading, then I would say that the usual cause of pressure bleeding off too quickly is a weak check valve in the fuel pump. Have you checked the fuel pressure while it is idling rough?

will i had my injector cleaner hooked up and thats where we noticed that it was loosing fuel pressure to quikly. and yea it was the koeo reading. it would go up to about 40 psi but would drop almost as quickly as it went up(but not all the way down of course) . and no i havent checked it while its running ruff.and i just checked tps and its good.

Back