1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Fuel pump bad?

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by wmdpalmer, December 18, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. wmdpalmer

wmdpalmer New Member

City, State:
      Eglin FL
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      98 Exploder XLT
      Hello all,

I got an94' Ex and I believe the fuel pump is in need of change. The EGR has been replaced as well as the spark plugs. wires, coil, fuel filte cleaned MAF, IAB Valve. The truck cranks but has no fuel pressure at the rails (schrader valve). you guys ever changed the fuel pump? Looks like a pain with all the skid plates (read wisconsin rust). any helpful hints? Thanks

Will

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. wmdpalmer

wmdpalmer New Member

City, State:
      Eglin FL
      98 Exploder XLT
      no one has ever done this? My truck is up in the air and i'm trying to get the skid plate off. What a pain

4. bitchinexplorer

bitchinexplorer Active Member

City, State:
      Texas
      91 XLT
      never replaced fuel pump...just filter, ive changed a pump in like a 96 or 97 explorer though, PITA.

5. wmdpalmer

wmdpalmer New Member

City, State:
      Eglin FL
      98 Exploder XLT
      I changed the fuel pump in a Mustang before so i assume it will be relativley the same process.

6. kiknurazz2

kiknurazz2 New Member

City, State:
      Jenkins, Kentucky
      '94 Limited 4x4
      i put one on my 94 and it's not so bad, 1 thing to be careful of though when putting the assebly back in the tank make sure the flat washer does not pinch up or it will leak gas when the tank is full. good kuck and remember no open flames with that tank open and careful with that drop light also.

7. wmdpalmer

wmdpalmer New Member

City, State:
      Eglin FL
      98 Exploder XLT
      Thanks for the info. I drained as much of the gas as I could. Now some of the bolts are giving me fits. Good thing for the all mighty dremel!

8. mross43

mross43 New Member

City, State:
      Beavercreek, OH
      1994 XLT
      I went through problems with my 94 X not starting. IF YOU HAVE NOT GOT IT RUNNING, TRY REPLACING THE FUEL PUMP RELAY. Thought it was the fuel pump also. I did replace it and yes, its is a pain. It is a fairly straight forward procedure: remove all the bolts you see holding the skid plate and straps, then lower it down slowly with a floor jack. I had trouble removing the ring that secures the pump/pickup assembly (lots of rust). I had my dad hit a tab on the ring with a screwdriver and hammer while I did the same thing on the opposite side and it finally loosened. When putting it all back together, I would apply some sealant around that ring. I can now smell fuel from around the tank, so I don't think that it resealed well. Also, you might have to have a special tool to disconnect the fuel lines, I can't remember. It is a standard tool found at any auto parts store. After all the pain of changing the pump I still had the same problem. Turned out to be the fuel pump relay, located in the passenger side engine compartment. I found that info on this site somewhere. I wish I would have found it before removing the tank.