• Register Today It's free!

fuel pump replacement

rblairhstn

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Tx.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
My GF has a 2005 Ex with 62000 mi that she ALMOST ran out of gas. (0 mi to empty). After re-fueling her gas gsuge no longer functioned properly. I did my research here to find that this is a rather common EX problem and after reading advised her that it might return to normal if she ran a couple of bottles of fuel system cleaner through it and that it would be fine to drive the car.

The next call I got was a couple of hours later and she was dead on the side of the road. Her EX has developed obvious fuel delivery problems.....................it will start after sitting a couple of hours but only runs a few seconds and runs out of gas.

The threads I find all apply to 95 EX'es....................not 2005. Testing recomendations before dropping the tank? Will the procedure remain basicly the same.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Probably dirt particles in the fuel filter OR DAMAGED FUEL PUMP

If the gauge doesn't work you need to replace the pump. The sender is part of the pump assembly, and would work even if the fuel filter was clogged.

Sounds like what happened to my wife last night (Friday). 80900 miles. Full tank of gas on Wednesday. Refilled before the "low fuel" warning. drove to work. Let sit 8 hours and would not turn over or start. How do I problem solve: so far, there is now spark on the distributor wires. No codes appeared on the diagnostics. Do we need to drop the fuel tank or how do we change the filter or troubleshoot the fuel pump.

Problem solved

After spending nearly all day Saturday, the problem was solved. Some how a wire had come loose from the emergency shut off for the gas line. This was located on the passenger's side near the floor under the dash. We had checked nearly everything we could think of: electrical, fuses, fuel pump and nothing seemed to help. We were almost ready to tow it into a dealer service bay to have the fuel tank taken down and the fuel pump checked. We were glad to find the loose wire and get it hooked up again.

Back