Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

fuel pump replacement

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by rblairhstn, June 17, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. rblairhstn

rblairhstn New Member

City, State:
      Houston, Tx.
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2002 XLT
      My GF has a 2005 Ex with 62000 mi that she ALMOST ran out of gas. (0 mi to empty). After re-fueling her gas gsuge no longer functioned properly. I did my research here to find that this is a rather common EX problem and after reading advised her that it might return to normal if she ran a couple of bottles of fuel system cleaner through it and that it would be fine to drive the car.

The next call I got was a couple of hours later and she was dead on the side of the road. Her EX has developed obvious fuel delivery problems.....................it will start after sitting a couple of hours but only runs a few seconds and runs out of gas.

The threads I find all apply to 95 EX'es....................not 2005. Testing recomendations before dropping the tank? Will the procedure remain basicly the same.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. fermin

fermin New Member

City, State:
      los angeles, CA.
      '06 xlt, V6 4.0
      Probably dirt particles in the fuel filter OR DAMAGED FUEL PUMP

4. cross6

cross6 Active Member

City, State:
      Baton Rouge, LA
      2004 Mountaineer
      If the gauge doesn't work you need to replace the pump. The sender is part of the pump assembly, and would work even if the fuel filter was clogged.

5. Turtle08

Turtle08 New Member

City, State:
      Winthrop Harbor, Il.
      2005 Sport Trac XLT
      Sounds like what happened to my wife last night (Friday). 80900 miles. Full tank of gas on Wednesday. Refilled before the "low fuel" warning. drove to work. Let sit 8 hours and would not turn over or start. How do I problem solve: so far, there is now spark on the distributor wires. No codes appeared on the diagnostics. Do we need to drop the fuel tank or how do we change the filter or troubleshoot the fuel pump.

6. Turtle08

Turtle08 New Member

City, State:
      Winthrop Harbor, Il.
      2005 Sport Trac XLT
      Problem solved

After spending nearly all day Saturday, the problem was solved. Some how a wire had come loose from the emergency shut off for the gas line. This was located on the passenger's side near the floor under the dash. We had checked nearly everything we could think of: electrical, fuses, fuel pump and nothing seemed to help. We were almost ready to tow it into a dealer service bay to have the fuel tank taken down and the fuel pump checked. We were glad to find the loose wire and get it hooked up again.