Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Fuel pump revenge

Discussion in '2001-2005 Explorer Sport Trac' started by Jeffrey Moore, November 28, 2019.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Jeffrey Moore

Jeffrey Moore New Member

City, State:
    Milton
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2004 sport trac XLS
    So in order to put a new fuel filter in my 2004 sport trac, I removed the fuse for the fuel pump and let the truck run spit, sputtered, and die so as to relieve my fuel system of pressure. I replaced the filter returned the pump fuse to its place and turned on the key to prime the system, and then cranked the truck which took quite a bit of doing. Now my truck will barely crank and barely stay running, its misfiring like crazy and gas is coming out of my exhaust in several spots (doughnuts joints) to include the tail pipe. Forscan is showing 50 psi fuel rail pressure with engine running .02 psi with key on engine off, and its pretty much undrivable, even have a weird battery problem. Fully charged battery but when I'm cranking the truck the last 2 times, it would actually seems like the motor seized up on something but there's a noise from the instrument panel like when your battery dies, buzzing noise. Anyhow, what in the hell have I done?

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. swshawaii

swshawaii Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Kailua-Oahu, Hawaii
    '05 Sport Trac XLS (RWD)
    Did Forscan show any trouble code(s)? Is the check engine light blinking indicating misfiring?
    I would NOT run the engine if the exhaust is spewing gas. Catalytic converters are expensive.
    2004 Owners Manual (Page 10)
    http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/04p27og3e.pdf

4. 410Fortune

410Fortune MUD SEASON 2.0 Staff Member Moderator

City, State:
    NORTH IDAHO, 7B
    B2 Slightly Modified
    does your truck have the 3 line filter?

5. Jeffrey Moore

Jeffrey Moore New Member

City, State:
    Milton
    2004 sport trac XLS
    Yeah, I'm on that bandwagon about not driving it. I'm going to have it towed to the mechanic. So answering the questions, it's not throwing any codes nor is the check engine light on. When I cranked it yesterday, I was connected to Forscan and 2 of the peramiters that I was monitoring was

(A) Current engine misfire detected - Yes
    (B) Number of misfires detected since engine start - 177

My truck has the no return fuel system which relies heavily on the fuel pressure sensor and a fuel pump module which together they turn the FP on and off as needed with the goal of prolonging the life of the FP by keeping it from staying on constantly...oh and the answer to 2nd question is NO to 3 line filter, my filter has 1 in and 1 out. But now the truck won't even turn over. It acts an sounds like a dead battery, but it's not, my battery voltage is at 12.8 volts and the battery itself is less than 2 weeks old but when you turn the key, the engine will turn over for a second or two and then abruptly jams to a halt and at the same time my instrument cluster starts ticking, buzzing and flashing until I pull the key from the ignition.

6. 410Fortune

410Fortune MUD SEASON 2.0 Staff Member Moderator

City, State:
    NORTH IDAHO, 7B
    B2 Slightly Modified
    Sounds like a battery wire/ starter wire / power feed issue
    check your battery wiring, power wiring at the power dist box
    check your fuses in the power dist box
    Wiggle the EEC /PCM relay or swap it with the one next to it
    You messed with the fuel pump fuse right? Go back and check inside there see if anything got bumped or dislodged

check battery voltage
    Check ground cables
    check battery terminals

All must be clean and tight