fuel pump? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

kupikapp41

Reaction score
City, State
Nebraska
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
I have a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport. It has 143000 miles on it. Just recently it has started to shudder, shake, lose power when accelerating. The shuddering and shaking is certainly not severe, but it is definitely noticeable. It seems to be almost OK when I am at cruising speed on the highway. It also seems to be more pronounced when the fuel level is low. I am thinking it is probably a fuel pump issue, but wanted to get another opinion before I start taking things apart as I have never changed a fuel pump.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

before ripping things apart, check the fuel pressure. you can find threads on how to do that in the search.

I would check the fuel pressure before changing the fuel filter and then after changing the fuel filter to see if the fuel pressure increases...These engines are really touchy when it comes to fuel pressure...

Thanks. I will check the fuel pressure and change the fuel filter and see where that gets me.

.......These engines are really touchy when it comes to fuel pressure...

The reason being lack of a fuel return "loop" to the tank leaves no "cushion" for error in fuel pressure resulting from filter, regulator, or pump issues.

Going to the "returnless" system provided the BIG benefit of much-improved fuel pump life, as the pump no longer works at "100%" like before, but only delivers as much fuel as the engine needs at any particular time. imp

Back