• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Sending Unit and Clutch

I Bleed Blue

Reaction score
City, State
NorCal
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT 5.0 2wd LSD
Today I went to look at a 91 Explorer XL 4x4 5 speed. Was a solid truck just had one thing that was a major concern. The fuel gauge doesnt work so I am guessing it is the sending unit.:thumbdwn:Is this a common thing? How difficult is it to replace the unit and about how much time is involved? Also on a stock clutch with good life about where in the throw does it grab? I hadnt driven one of these before today and it started grabbing just about 3/4 the way up. Is that normal or is the clutch on its way out, or is it adjustable? Thanks for any help/input!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey if it's rust free, the engine sounds tight and it drives buy it!

You can sort out the minor stuff later.

Clutches are cheap.

Fuel pumps/sending units are cheap.

What's the asking price, if you don't mind me asking?

He's asking 1200 but probably wont get that. I just wanted to know how much time in labor it would take to drop the tank and replace it? (I have this thing about knowing how much fuel is in the tank hahaha) Also then I can negotiate price more if its a pain

I wouldn't drop the tank. Cut an access under the left rear-seat and the pump assembly goes out pretty painlessly. The biggest issue I had was to get out the blasting fuel lines, but perseverance and a hammer did the trick.

When you change the pump, also replace the filter.

Okay cool thats a lot less of a pain than i thought it would be and i was thinking 1,000 as well

The clutch is not adjustable.
The big issue on this trans/clutch is the slave going bad. If this one goes into first and reverse easily, the slave is in good shape.
Gas gauges are overrated. ;) Mine's been busted for 12 years. I just go by my odometer, but you just need to run out once so you know how miles per tank you get. :D

I'd offer 800, and go up from there.

Since my gas gauge was fixed, my mileage has improved from 14 to nearly 18mpg.

(I changed spark plugs, wires, air filter and some vacuum line at the same time) :D

Well, I switched from 37's to 35's and my miles per tank went from 298 to 357! :rangertan: (17mpg)

Thanks [MENTION=638]RangerX[/MENTION] good to know. It does go pretty easily into 1st and reverse so thats a relief

Snap some day one pics!

So guys I picked it up earlier today. I'll be gettin some pics up in the next few days. Fixed the driver lower door hinge already since the bushings were shot. Tomorrow will be a new sending unit/fuel pump and filter. Then it'll be off to pick my pull for some little odds and ends.

when you replace the pump , the strainer and fuel filter under the driver seat area on the frame should be replaced as well , Most fuel pumps sold will not carry the warranty if the fuel filter has not been replaced at the same time , But Sounds like a good deal , And Welcome to the Forum ! .

Thanks!!! Yeah i bought a filter for it too. It originally wasnt going to replace the pump but it was only another $5 for the pump with sending unit. Sadly it rained earlier than i thought it would today so the replacement will have to wait until tomorrow

Thanks!!! Yeah i bought a filter for it too. It originally wasnt going to replace the pump but it was only another $5 for the pump with sending unit. Sadly it rained earlier than i thought it would today so the replacement will have to wait until tomorrow

the new pump should have came with a new strainer so sounds like you should be good to go

Alrighty guys, I replaced my sending unit and pump and it works... ish... I had a 1/4 tank and I just went and filled up (15 gallons) and its now only reading 1/2 tank. Any ideas? My only idea is that when i was putting the lock ring back on the fuel pump that it spun a little bit inside so the float hits the side of the wall at 1/2 tank. Other then that I really dont know but the last thing I want is to have to pull the tank back out.

Here's some pics of her.
6FE94E52-3C5E-44C2-88EB-4AD7F1147E5F_zpsgz3aa3me.jpg

934EF5AE-74AA-4F75-BCCD-959B54A90F79_zpszhgqxflr.jpg

25B9B554-F464-474F-8D10-3174D1BE5564_zpsdqsshkse.jpg

0E388A62-FB9E-4443-B8F5-DE96FB365D34_zpsuixyaeiu.jpg

How many volts do you get at the connector?

Im not sure without finding my volt meter and going out and checking. Why?

I Bleed Blue, my wife's '92 XLT hasn't had a working gas gauge for about 3 years now. The float sank and I haven't had time to drop the tank. However, if it read the last half tank reasonably accurately I would be happy. That's the important half anyway. (Just my opinion, of course...)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

larrydd999, yeah i wont know if its only reading that until i burn though a half, just want to know ifs there are any known quick fixes or anything

Back