• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Tank Ring Removal

timl

Reaction score
City, State
Bethesda, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
Well after a few hours of wrestling, I got the tank dropped on my '94 XLT to replace the fuel pump. (Those damn high pressure fuel line connections get me every time.)

Problem I've got is that the ring that holds the sender assembly is really well rusted. Not having much luck budging it with a block of wood a a rubber mallet combined with some liberal Liquid Wrench use. Any ideas? Has anyone used the "Ford" tool and if so, what would one of those cost?

Lastly, the ring with the locking tabs on the tank itself is well rusted too. Is that even replaceable or am I looking at a new tank? Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Get a new ring from Ford. I wouldnt even try to save it.

I used tons of PB balster to loosen the rust, much better than Liquid Wrench. Wire brush the loose stuff away and use some cold chisels to pound the ring around. Also may want to bend the tabs up a bit so they have a bit more space between them and the ring. Dont be afraid to cut the ring. The mounting ring is molded into the tank, so if it is damaged then a new tank is needed. Sacrifice the locking ring for the tank.

Good Luck

Agree - locking ring should be about $10 at a Ford dealer.

Mine was also very rusted - just try and knock it straight toward the center of the opening - don't try to hit it to make it spin around like it will actually unscrew. It will probably just pop loose that way.

And of course, don't use anything that could create a spark!

Got the ring from the dealer for $9. Knowing what it looked like without all the rust helped.

I got the ring off by taking a pair of pliers, getting underneath the ring edge between two tabs and bending it up slightly. Then I was able to twist it in towards the center and pull it out from under the tabs. Thanks everyone for the help.

I feel bad metioning that after all that work and a new fuel pump, it still wouldn't run. Figured out the EEC relay had gone bad after a closer reading of the manual.

5 hours and $140 versus 5 minutes and $5...DOH!

Back