Full-Black Ford Emblems on our Explorer! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Full-Black Ford Emblems on our Explorer!

LIrican

Reaction score
City, State
Annapolis, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer Sport
2012 Explorer Emblem Size

Hey everyone,

New hear as you can see and I have a dumb question.

Is the emblem size for the Explorer as follows:

9inch - Front Grill
7inch - Back/Liftgate

Last edited by a moderator:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wasn't digging the blue nose on our Sport with the blacked out trim. I originally ordered Black gel overlays from that guy in the UK, but then found the other thread that had full replacement emblems in black and sold the gel overlays and bought these.

The grille one was a PITA to install, if you're not handy, just get the overlays lol. I had to figure out how to get the center black bar off the grille, to remove the OEM emblem, which is both held in with nuts, AND retention clips, then reinstall the center bar, then finally install the new black emblem. The liftgate one was just a cover, and it only covers 95%, there's still a 1/8" gap of chrome around the perimeter. I vinyl wrapped the emblem, put the cover on, then the next day the vinyl was wrinkled around that edge with the extreme curve of the emblem, so I had to cut the vinyl out, and just live with the 1/8" chrome gap. You only see it if you look directly down on the emblem from the rear window, or directly from the side so it's not terrible, but it would have been nice if it were a full replacement like the front.

Before anyone asks, I don't have links, found them on eBay, another guy posted the link in another thread. They were pricey, about $100 for the pair, but well worth it IMO.

Onto the pics!

Bluedolph the blue nose expy...

Emblem-031.jpg

Blah!

Emblem-041.jpg

Not even writing a how-to for this one, because if you're confident enough to tackle this one, you can easily figure it out on your own. If you can't figure it out on your own, you probably shouldn't even attempt it even with directions lol. I tried for 15 minutes to get the emblem off without removing the center bar. Had both nuts off the back of the emblem, no luck. Had to remove the center bar, to release the retention clips to finally get it off. Swore something was going to break the entire time lol but I got lucky and didn't break any clips removing the center bar haha

Emblem-051.jpg

Damn that new one looks nice!

Emblem-061.jpg

Now THIS is a Sport front end!!! Blacked out headlights, blacked out ford emblem!

Emblem-07.jpg

Should have been stock!

Emblem-08.jpg

Emblem-09.jpg

Emblem-10.jpg

Now pics of the rear....

Emblem-17.jpg

Emblem-18.jpg

I'm almost completely sold on the idea now of moving both the chrome sport lettering, and the black/chrome ecoboost emblem, from the white area, up into the black strip, then the black/chrome of those emblems on the black strip will tie in with the theme of the black/chrome of the ford emblem.

Emblem-19.jpg

Nice, they do look good. Might get those too for my black LTD

Looks really nice!!!

I realy like the new look. Where did you get the emblems?
Tx

thanks guys. looking back at the early pics the old emblems stuck out like a sore thumb. these look so good like it should have came that way factory.

emblems were from ebay.

HowDo you get the old ones off?

if you aren't even going to read the first post, why would I think you'd read another one? lol

Do you have a link from eBay ? I looked everywhere and can't find them
Tx

How did you replace the rear emblem?

this looks amazing, you can't even notice the back. If anyone order something on ebay and it works please post a link here, as there are many options on ebay.

thanks guys. looking back at the early pics the old emblems stuck out like a sore thumb. these look so good like it should have came that way factory.

emblems were from ebay.
Looks very nice Harley. :thumbsup:
As far as it coming from the factory that way, don't forget Ford is also known as the 'Blue Oval' company so don't hold your breath.;)

Peter

too bad the ebay vendor is out of stock; will have to keep checking.

hey guys look at my sweet Explorer mod! Instead of helping you out and including links in my thread, I'm just going to make you do the work while I show you how awesome my Explorer looks!

hey guys look at my sweet Explorer mod! Instead of helping you out and including links in my thread, I'm just going to make you do the work while I show you how awesome my Explorer looks!

I could have said absolutely nothing and not even shared the idea. You could have spent your effort going and searching yourself instead of just wasting keyboard strokes griping because you're too lazy to do it yourself.

That's not the ebay seller mine were from, and he had a ton of listings, so more should be available from the main seller.

As for all the questions on how to do the rear emblem, go back up and read the friggin first post people.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's not the ebay seller mine were from, and he had a ton of listings, so more should be available from the main seller.

Guessing game? Members have to keep buying from E-bay and posting their links until they hit upon the "main" seller?:dunno:

Cool mod, how about a link?

Back