Full-Black Ford Emblems on our Explorer! | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Full-Black Ford Emblems on our Explorer!

Don't want to spaghetti this thread out too much. I did some custom graphic emblems instead of merely blacking out or replacing the OEM ones with another bubbly Ford one. Check it out and feel free to let me know what you think: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=429163 . Its not quite where I want it, but its a start. Thanks for the help [MENTION=241001]corpflyboy[/MENTION] [MENTION=232257]LIrican[/MENTION] [MENTION=247779]Jzales[/MENTION] (even though I started this project like a year ago haha)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You think that the ones from etsy would fit the 2016 Sport as well? The listing says 2004-2014, but explosportguy, they fit on your '15, right?
Another quick question, I want to remove the ecoboost and the sport sign from the tailgate, the fishing line and goo gone should work as well, right?

I removed mine a little heat and a plastic paint scrapper did the trick they are just tapped on no guide holes..

I removed mine a little heat and a plastic paint scrapper did the trick they are just tapped on no guide holes..
Thanks for the info TTSport, I'm thinking of removing mine also but I didn't want to proceed until it was confirmed that there are no guide holes.

Thanks for the info! I measured them and yes, they're also 9" front and 7" on the tailgate. But I might even try to paint/spray paint mine myself.
As for the other badges, the ecoboost really isn't the big deal, but I somehow dislike the font they used for the "sport" badge. I might just be overly picky... but... :D

Keep me posted with what you end up doing. The 2016s might be a little trickier because I don't think the prior models had the front camera that sits right below the emblem (I think that's where it is), and also the grill is different so the steps that people have outlined here may not be exactly the same.

Does anyone have experience putting a black emblem on a leased vehicle and if it complicated matters when turning it back in?

If I go the overlay route can they be peeled off without messing up the blue one?

Does anyone have experience putting a black emblem on a leased vehicle and if it complicated matters when turning it back in?

If I go the overlay route can they be peeled off without messing up the blue one?
I think it best to check with your dealer since they will be involved to some extend with the lease return.

Peter

These emblems are on their way from Tim over on etsy. Just wondering if anyone has found the correct wheel center caps with black emblems to complete this look.

So I recently installed the ETSY emblems front and back. Today I was notified by a colleague that the front was barely hanging on. Sure enough by the time we went out to check, it was hanging by a thread of adhesive... Anyone run into that? I have left over 3M extra strength dbl sided tape... hoping that will hold...cleaning the original off is going to be fun...cant wait!

To be clear, the adhesive stuck to the car, it did not stick to the back of the emblem which is odd due to that was what it came on....

So I recently installed the ETSY emblems front and back. Today I was notified by a colleague that the front was barely hanging on. Sure enough by the time we went out to check, it was hanging by a thread of adhesive... Anyone run into that? I have left over 3M extra strength dbl sided tape... hoping that will hold...cleaning the original off is going to be fun...cant wait!

To be clear, the adhesive stuck to the car, it did not stick to the back of the emblem which is odd due to that was what it came on....

when you put new tape on, wipe both areas with alcohol. It will help with adhesion and it won't move. When placed on from the seller it may have still had oils from the plastic that wasn't removed.

Has anyone found a black Ford steering wheel emblem? Does Tim sell those?

Thats getting super meticulous! I like it ;)

Last edited:

Question regarding rear emblem

for explosportguy or anyone else who is confident answering:
Tim sent me the same rear emblem as pictured in the third picture from the top in post #183 .
Do I need to cut down those posts, or are there matching holes where the emblem assembly attaches to the rear of the liftgate?

I included all the information that I could think of in my etsy order, even highlighting that there is no rear camera, so I just needed the cover for the existing emblem, but maybe he doesn't sell those anymore...

Thank you

for explosportguy or anyone else who is confident answering:
Tim sent me the same rear emblem as pictured in the third picture from the top in post #183 .
Do I need to cut down those posts, or are there matching holes where the emblem assembly attaches to the rear of the liftgate?

I included all the information that I could think of in my etsy order, even highlighting that there is no rear camera, so I just needed the cover for the existing emblem, but maybe he doesn't sell those anymore...

Thank you

there are matching holes when you remove the old emblem.

Remove Front and Rear Badge

I've got a 2016 Sport and curious if anyone has removed (or tried to) their front and rear blue oval badges? I especially love the front grill and think it would look awesome without the blue oval.

BAdge Removal

hello, its a great question. have you had any success as if yet? I was looking to remove the front one myself.

I am also looking to remove the front license plate holder. We are not required to have one in AZ. Looks like plastic rivets but not sure.

Search is your friend......

Thanks but i've searched. I can't find a definitive answer. I've hear the lift gate badge has holes, clips, bolts and then another user reported only adhesive. So obviously i'm not eager to pull it off not knowing what's under there. Not much info on grill badge for 16s.

Has anyone removed the front emblem from a 2016 model with front camera? Read the whole thread but did not see an answer if it is removed the same way. Thanks

Has anyone removed the front and rear emblems off a 2016 explorer sport yet as MichaelNC asked?

I've purchased new ones (black) and they came with double sided tape. I called ford body shop and they said the front one looks like it is fastened with double sided tape.

I heated it and used fishing line to pull it off, but pulling up one end of it I couldn't see tape holding it on. It felt like I was pulling really hard and didn't want to break the grill so I stopped.

Anyone know for sure how the (front & rear) emblems are secured?

Last edited:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Has anyone removed the front and rear emblems off a 2016 explorer sport yet as the OP asked?

I've purchased new ones (black) and they came with double sided tape. I called ford body shop and they said the front one looks like it is fastened with double sided tape.

I heated it and used fishing line to pull it off, but pulling up one end of it I couldn't see tape holding it on. It felt like I was pulling really hard and didn't want to break the grill so I stopped.

Anyone know for sure how the (front & rear) emblems are secured?

I have a 2015 XLT appearance package and almost everything I read and those I spoke with said they thought the front badge was held on with double sided tape, but I fount that not to be true. The front round blue oval badge had two screw type of fasteners holding it on. The grill had to be partially removed to get at the screw type fasteners.

I'm not sure how the badge is attached to the lift-gate.

Last edited:

Back