Full-Black Ford Emblems on our Explorer! | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Full-Black Ford Emblems on our Explorer!

The rear emblem is held on with tape and 2 black plastic pieces that snap in to the body, kind of like a dry wall anchor. They are not screwed in, but rather they snap in.

The front is a pain if you leave the grill in. I used a 1/4" drive ratchet with a small extension (10 MM socket). If you remove the top shroud (2- push/lock pins and several 10 MM bolts) you can pull the grill forward to get to the 2 nuts holding the emblem on (working from the top. It's not hard, you just can't see the 2 nuts that you are undoing.

Got it! thanks for taking the time to explain. When I did it on my G37 it was a similar process. I was going to just wing it and try to figure it out on the exploder but your step by step instructions make me feel more comfortable. I'll tackle this one weekend coming up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Was going to try some out from defenderworx.com. I know nothing of them yet but looks great to me. Black machine billet, gloss or flat.

Anyone know where to get black sport badge with the red tips for the tailgate. I dont really want to plasty dip if i dont have to. Also looking for the black eco badge for the tailgate. Any good sites would be appreciate!

Anyone know where to get black sport badge with the red tips for the tailgate. I dont really want to plasty dip if i dont have to. Also looking for the black eco badge for the tailgate. Any good sites would be appreciate!
Your thread has been merged with this one. The 'Search' function shown at the top right of the page is a very useful program. I used it to find this thread and the link as well.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...e-emblem-update-black-ecoboost-emblem.386683/
Good luck.

Peter

Hi All

When replacing the front emblem do you have to take the grill completely off or will leaning it forward do the job. Also with the back emblem do I just use me hands and a Trim Tool to remove?

Hi All

When replacing the front emblem do you have to take the grill completely off or will leaning it forward do the job. Also with the back emblem do I just use me hands and a Trim Tool to remove?

Look up 5 post and you will have your answer
The front is a pain if you leave the grill in. I used a 1/4" drive ratchet with a small extension (10 MM socket). If you remove the top shroud (2- push/lock pins and several 10 MM bolts) you can pull the grill forward to get to the 2 nuts holding the emblem on (working from the top). It's not hard, you just can't see the 2 nuts that you are undoing.

Look up 5 post and you will have your answer
The front is a pain if you leave the grill in. I used a 1/4" drive ratchet with a small extension (10 MM socket). If you remove the top shroud (2- push/lock pins and several 10 MM bolts) you can pull the grill forward to get to the 2 nuts holding the emblem on (working from the top). It's not hard, you just can't see the 2 nuts that you are undoing.

Thanks, just wanted to make sure I didn't have to pull the grill off. Thanks for the knowledge

We just finished changing the front and back Ford emblems on our 2016 Sport. We didn't like the blue Ford emblems and wanted black emblems that would look better in the black grill. We bought black, real emblems on eBay, not pop over type or gel overlays. Because we had a hard time finding info on how to do this specifically on a 2016 model, I thought I would just share what we discovered and what made this easy for us.

Back emblem: took about 15 minutes to complete. We used a flat rounded letter opener to get under the edge of the emblem . Then we just kept moving it (could hear the tape lifting) and with a little force just popped it right off. Once off, we rolled the adhesive left on the car with our fingertips to get it off the car, then cleaned the area with rubbing alcohol and put on the new emblem.

Front emblem: took 30 minutes. We DID NOT take the whole grill off. The key here is having two people. We took the cover off the top of the grill which is held on with about six removable bolts/nuts and two push pins that snap out. Here is the big tip...once the top was removed, I pulled the top of the grill toward me with enough force to give my partner extra room to get his hand down in there to remove the two screws holding the front emblem. He was able to get his hand down there with a 10mm socket (about 1.5" long) and get the screws off and the emblem came right off. We then cleaned it again with alcohol and put the new emblem on. Without the second person holding the grill out, it would be very difficult to get your hand in and remove the screws. So you either need a second person or you'll probably need to take the whole grill off.

It looks so much better with the black emblem !!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:

Show some pics of the new ones installed.

Looks great DLM! And thanks for the 'how to' on your '16. I'm very interested in doing our '17 but wasn't sure if it would be as easy as the '11-'15 models were. Glad to hear it is.

Don't suppose you could link me to the vendor you used on ebay? EDIT: Nevermind, went back through the thread three times and overlooked it three times. Finally saw your response. :)

Last edited:

Looks great DLM! And thanks for the 'how to' on your '16. I'm very interested in doing our '17 but wasn't sure if it would be as easy as the '11-'15 models were. Glad to hear it is.

Don't suppose you could link me to the vendor you used on ebay? EDIT: Nevermind, went back through the thread three times and overlooked it three times. Finally saw your response. :)
Hey Supr Squirel,

Thanks. I didn't post who I got my emblems from so maybe that was someone else? Anyway, on eBay I bought mine from "downatthebuilding" who other people have used as well.

Hey Supr Squirel,

Thanks. I didn't post who I got my emblems from so maybe that was someone else? Anyway, on eBay I bought mine from "downatthebuilding" who other people have used as well.
I'm not knocking the eBay seller but the emblems I got from that seller did not last very long started pitting from rocks and pebbles on the road. Not that I drive on back roads I live So Calif and I do normal street and freeway driving.

Hey Supr Squirel,

Thank you, appreciate the info. :)

I'm not knocking the eBay seller but the emblems I got from that seller did not last very long started pitting from rocks and pebbles on the road. Not that I drive on back roads I live So Calif and I do normal street and freeway driving.
Interesting. Thanks for the update. We live in the country (although on a blacktopped road), however the in-laws live off of gravel roads. Will definitely keep your info in mind when I buy.

Did my 16 today. I had to use a deep well 10mm to get the nuts of the front emblem. Did front and rear in under 1/2 hour.
Here are all the tools I used front and rear.

Fishing line to get under the adhesive on the rear emblem

DB082FD5-1B5D-4422-B028-E1085866B4D8_zps9se9tnly.jpg

Does anyone have pics of these new emblems in a matte black finish on a Sport?

I removed the back emblem off my Explorer by using a hair dryer and then it easily pried off.It was adhesive and had a couple of pins that came out all in one piece . I cleaned it off and put a black ford emblem on it. my question is, how do I do the front one with the grill the way it ishould as not to damage it?

I removed the back emblem off my Explorer by using a hair dryer and then it easily pried off.It was adhesive and had a couple of pins that came out all in one piece . I cleaned it off and put a black ford emblem on it. my question is, how do I do the front one with the grill the way it ishould as not to damage it?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
The Forum has a very handy 'Search' feature (upper right) that can be used to locate existing threads. In this case yours was merged with this one. Good luck.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wasnt a fan of Plastidip. On the 16's and above its the newer 3D Ford Emblem which can be taken apart. The rear was easy, the front was not simplest but I got it off. It requires that you break all the blue tabs on the back and I used 3M trim tape to put it back together and reattach it to the car. I went to my local body guy and had everything painted for $95.

Back