Full-Black Ford Emblems on our Explorer! | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Full-Black Ford Emblems on our Explorer!

Im looking for some white badges with chrome Ford on them for our 12' Limited.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just did this tonight on my black sport...it looks awesome. I ordered from the Etsy site.

For the front I took off the two nuts. It was a pain to get in there and get them off but I finally was able to do it. Then popped it off the front and placed the new one on.

For the back one I used a hair dryer and heated up the glue and pealed the tin off and placed the new one on. This way there was no chrome showing. I did not pop the whole back off, did all on the car. Probably a little risky but I was careful.

I am doing a couple more mods (changing out turn signal light and shark fin antenna) Once I am done I will post pictures.

Hi everyone,
Firstly I just want to thank all of you for being involved in this forum and sharing such GREAT information!

I read this thread thoroughly and even though I am fairly handy, I am not sure I would have tried this mod without all of the instructions and assurances from "The Pioneers" ... The instructions were extremely valuable ... for anyone wanting to do this here's a summary of what I learned from all of you:

- I ordered my black emblems from downatthebuilding on eBay ... because many here have said Tim (from the eBay store I listed) is possibly unorganized and somewhat misinformed, and occasionally makes mistakes ... I wrote in the note to him in the auction to be very clear and concise ... "I need 2 BLACK Ford emblems for a 2013 Ford Explorer Sport. a 9" bolt-on for the front, and a 7" stick-on for the rear, and because it is an Explorer and NOT an F-150, the rear camera is NOT an issue ... can you please combine shipping and save me a few bucks" ... This went perfectly and he replied immediately and even over the Christmas shipping rush he had them to me (including shipping to a different country) in a little over a week!

- For the rear I followed all of your excellent tips ... put a little Goo Gone on the top of the emblem, let it drip in behind for a couple of seconds and then use a heat gun or hair dryer to loosen the double sided tape ... get a pair of "small point" needle nose pliers and grab one edge of the "tin" logo and twist it around the pliers like you are removing the lid of a sardine can ... comes right off ... use a little more heat and Goo Gone to remove and clean any residue ... Install the new emblem ... it's a perfect fit and this way you have no chrome ring showing, which you would have if you went over the original blue oval ... Doing it this way, it looks OEM

- For the front I also benefited from such great advice listed here! - Pop the hood, get a hand in the small opening where the hood latch is located ... and with a small socket wrench with a 10mm socket remove the 2 "tin" nuts from the back of the emblem ... this is a TIGHT fit and the hood latch nearly rubbed the skin off my wrist ... but don't worry ... I am a fairly big fella with a large wrist and sausage fingers and I got in there ... once the two nuts are off, come back out front and get a thin putty knife or hard plastic "decal smoother/air bubble remover/squeegee type" tool in behind and loosen the backing from the grille ... like many have said previously "just when you think you can't pry any harder without damaging something" it will pop off ... clean the area and install the new emblem reversing these steps and you are good to go! ... I also remember reading a post here that said to be very careful of over torquing the two nuts because the plastic "bolt/nipples" could snap ... I think that is valuable advice to keep in mind too.

Thanks again for all of the great info ... I am glad I did this mod ... it looks great and is just one of those minor things that make my Sport just a bit more unique and personalized.

Cheers! :dpchug:

Welcome to the Forum DTrainCanada.:wavey:
Another member from Saskatchewan, eh.:thumbsup:

Peter

Powder coating stock rims and black ford emblems

Hi! Has anyone powder coated their stock XLT rims black, if so, can you post some pics? Also, I'm looking for black ford overlays or emblems for the exterior, but have only found one on eBay. Anywhere else I should look?

Welcome to the Forum Janinbare.:wavey:
I found this thread using the forum's 'Search' function and merged yours with it. There should be some info on the black Ford emblems here. There are other threads on this as well. As for powder coating the wheels, not sure if that has been done but there have been some that used plastic dip.

Peter

Thanks Peter! I'll search again

something else added to my list haha

Just to confrim....2015 Ex Sport Rear Emblem

New here! Just picked up my 2015 Magnetic Explorer Sport and have the new emblems waiting for my in my mailbox. Going to tackle tonight. Believe the front does not scare me too much as it seem straight forward. The rear.....

Just to confirm prior to me ripping the stock emblem off. The rear blue oval is actually a tin overlay over a piece of base plastic. To get the blue tin off, I need to totally remove the plastic base that it sit on using the goo gone/hair drier method. Once off, I will peel the blue oval from the base using the needle nose. Clean the area (off the base and car). Use the double sided tape to attach the black tin to the base. The double sided tape to attach the base (plus new tin) to the car.

Thanks for all the advice and help! I really liked the way the photos looked on the forum so I got inspired!

Welcome to the Forum mdkstate.:wavey:
Enjoy your Sport and Happy Motoring. :):thumbsup:

Peter

I want to do this as well....looks to be about 60 on ebay per logo?

Did it this evening. Looks great. Front was pretty straight forward. Take off tin nuts and pry. Hard. It will just pop off. Rear took some effort to peel off blue tin. But it came off in sections with the help of the wife's hair drier. I paid $59 for the front and rear (each). Got off eBay from our buddy Tim. Excellent quality and fit. Do it. Will not regret. Will post a photo or two once I figure out how.

Did it this evening. Looks great. Front was pretty straight forward. Take off tin nuts and pry. Hard. It will just pop off. Rear took some effort to peel off blue tin. But it came off in sections with the help of the wife's hair drier. I paid $59 for the front and rear (each). Got off eBay from our buddy Tim. Excellent quality and fit. Do it. Will not regret. Will post a photo or two once I figure out how.

How does the rear peel off? pry something underneath it?

I left the black plastic base attached to the car. Heated the blue oval with a hair drier and then used needle nose to start peeling in a rolling fashion. Just got to be careful not to slip and scratch the paint. The blue tin came off in a couple sections. Basically tore apart. Once tin was removed, the glue was the hardest part to get off. Heat it up and start peeling. Use a little Goo Gone to make it easier. Clean area then stick on replacement tin.

Thoughts on the Plasti Dip emblem with flat black "FORD" overlay?

Not something I would want, but YMMV.
Ditto reply, good thing that stuff peels off. Only because you asked. :scratch:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah i'm not sold on it yet....?

Back