fun little on-board air project/question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

fun little on-board air project/question

5spdman

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Stryker, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Explorer XLT
This has been in my mind after going over virtually all of the mod threads in the last two weeks.

I would like to install on-board air, whether it's filled with an on-board compressor or in the shop, to air up tires after hitting the trail. I've thought about using an old air compressor tank that we have laying around (which I might do for time being and just strap it into the cargo area) but those are only good for 150psi at best and would run out rather quickly. I have thought, in the future, if I were to relocate my gas tank to the rear (which I really want to do,) I could just mount the air tank where the original gas tank was located. But with my "side occupation" (firefighter) I started thinking: why not use an air tank from an SCBA (self contained breathing apparatus)?

The tanks we use in our department are rated at 1650psi....other SCBA tank manufacturers make tanks rated even higher than that. I could run air tools off a tank with 1650psi, and for a while too! If I were to mount one or two or more under the truck, don't worry; with that kind of pressure underneath me, there's no way I would go anywhere without some kind of skid plate. I could even just mount them on the floor in the rear for easier access and virtually no chance of being damaged. How would I fill them? Simple: when they're about out of air, dismount the bottles, run up to the fire hall, hook them up to the filling station and then mount them back into place.

Now with that kind of pressure, I would of course need a regulator....at the moment, I can't get a look at or tinker with one from an air pack, but I'm sure the regulator on an air pack could possibly be adjusted to allow me to quickly fill tires or even run an impact wrench for a while, without using all 1650psi...

SO, question #1 is simply this: is there anyone that has done or even thought of something like this before? And what are peoples thoughts on this potential little mod project that is cooking in my brain?

And Q#2: is there a regulator out there on the market that can handle that kind of pressure and regulate it to around 80psi that I could just purchase instead of me having to tinker around with one?

I would like to go ahead with this little project after this coming summer when I can probably acquire a few old steel SCBA tanks from our department in Ohio and possibly an old out-of-service air pack as well, instead of the carbon fiber/currently-in-service tanks and air packs here in AZ, but wanted to see a few others chime in with questions, comments or concerns! :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've got a home-built co2 tank set up. Basically I use a co2 tank used in pop systems at restaurants its filled to 800psi and then regulated down to 100psi to fill tires, seat beads and if need be run air tools. Post a pic of the threads on your SCBA tanks I'd bet its the same fitting used on welding tanks and then you could get a regulator at any welding/farm supply shop. Ofcourse powertank and the rest of their imitators sell regulators also.

scba tanks do not hold much air really,, it's just that you only breathe such a small amount that it seems big,, co2 would be much better,

look here,

https://powertank.com/

I looked at the powertank links....they are nice, there's no doubt about that, but my problem is they're just so gosh darn expensive...even the regulators! I did look into other regulators used for pop machines and draft kegs, which puts me at $50 just for a regulator.

At this point, my rig is more a daily driver than anything, so in reality the thought of running air tools was just a nice idea. corkey, with your response, I'm going to assume you're a fellow firefighter as well so correct me if I'm wrong, but even if the SCBA tanks wouldn't hold enough air to run tools (been thinking of getting a battery powered impact wrench anyway) they would give me the ability to air tires a few times right? I'd plan on having two, connecting both to a regulator with some fittings, and then adding an air chuck to hook up a small hose...I'm trying to keep my build and mods as cheap as possible, so again, this was just a thought! :)

Here is what I did...one of my favorite mods;)I use this more than I can count.I still use the oil-less compressor but still plan to swap it to a larger oil ac unit..just so it runs cooler, shocked the oil-less hasnt burnt up.very cheap mod and endless usages

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=333598

I have an electric pump and 2.5 gal viair tank. The tank is where the spare used to be. And the smitybilt dual pump is behind the rear quarter panel on the wheel well.

Id like to run a york eventually but the setup I have now works great. Aint broke don't fix it.

you can get a decent m50 compressor from an auto parts store for like 50 bucks. Idk how well they work but ive seen a lot of guys running them.

I looked at the powertank links....they are nice, there's no doubt about that, but my problem is they're just so gosh darn expensive...even the regulators! I did look into other regulators used for pop machines and draft kegs, which puts me at $50 just for a regulator.

I have 3 co2 bottles and I think I paid about $30 for my fixed 150psi regulators.

I carry a 5lbs co2 bottle in the honda.. It is great for changing a tire to filling a low tire..

I carry a 20 lbs bottle in the explorer for the trails..

My 3rd bottle (20 lbs) is in the Van during long trips..

IIRC powertanks are only 10lbs bottles so my bottles are somewhat bigger. I'm using "Beverage" style 20 lbs bottles which means it has the plastic shield around the top.

I also use my bottles when I go to the junk yard. I don't dread taking things off in the yard anymore.. Impact wrenches and air ratchets make short work of things..

As for bottles, I got all 3 from swap meets. 2 were out of date so I did a bottle swap at airgas and paid for the test and the 3rd was just a bottle swap..

I do still carry an MV50 12v compressor in the explorer but I rarely ever use it. I really should hard mount that thing as I have room for a 3 gallon air tank I have sitting at the house.

Here is a shot with a 20 lbs bottle with a 5 lbs bottle.
5601390677_e19a5c58e1_z.jpg

~Mark

Edit: looks like the regulator prices went up a little.. I'm pretty sure this is the one I have..
http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/Poly-Performance-CO2-Fixed-Regulator-p-297.html

Have you thought about using a nitrogen tank? Nitrogen can easily go up to 2500psi. This means more air in a smaller space. This is what I do when I need air on the go. They are also fairly cheap to refill.

Here is what I did...

I like it, looks clean! My issue with doing something like that is that I'm hoping to someday to the tank conversion, so that would be a little in the way....

I think what I'm going to do is get a compressor. VIAIR compressors look like they're a good deal and good quality. I did have one I bought from Harbor freight a few years back....worked good for a while, but now it's sitting on the floor, in running order, just not pumping air...

I like it, looks clean! My issue with doing something like that is that I'm hoping to someday to the tank conversion, so that would be a little in the way....

I think what I'm going to do is get a compressor. VIAIR compressors look like they're a good deal and good quality. I did have one I bought from Harbor freight a few years back....worked good for a while, but now it's sitting on the floor, in running order, just not pumping air...

O yea I did see that..you could still mount the tank where I did and do a b2 swap.that is if you have a body lift..

Just a thought, if you guys have square or tube style bumpers and plan to add a tank for OBA, use the tube/square bumpers for the tank. Seal the ends, add a drain plug and the air connector. And of course the pop off.

The time I did an OBA mod, eons ago, I used the VIAIR tank. Anyway, if you have the bumpers it'll save you a chunk of change.... ;)

That was a thought I had had before, ages ago, but I was unsure of how the "tank bumper" would hold up to the possibility of getting hit a few times on the trails...

There is a risk to any choice. Below the truck the tank can be punctured, or torn off, above as a bumper style the same can happen. A consideration to bumper type is a hole or crack can be patch welded without crawling under the truck.

As well below the tank can be shielded with a skid plate. However if repairs are needed removal of a damaged or rusted on skid plate would be pure joy in anger management.

I had at one time thought of mounting the tank inside. That would give maximum protection, but if an over pressure happened I didn't want bits flying inside my personal space.

Another take on this is to use solid thick tube or square stock AS the bumper. Heck you could even weld attachments or attachment points to it.

Choices, choices, choices. :)

There is a risk to any choice. Below the truck the tank can be punctured, or torn off, above as a bumper style the same can happen. A consideration to bumper type is a hole or crack can be patch welded without crawling under the truck.

As well below the tank can be shielded with a skid plate. However if repairs are needed removal of a damaged or rusted on skid plate would be pure joy in anger management.

I had at one time thought of mounting the tank inside. That would give maximum protection, but if an over pressure happened I didn't want bits flying inside my personal space.

Another take on this is to use solid thick tube or square stock AS the bumper. Heck you could even weld attachments or attachment points to it.

Choices, choices, choices. :)
Where I have mine mounted there is no real way you would ever hit it.you would destroy your gas tank and sooo many other things first.but to fit the larger 8.5 gallon your need a body lift, you can fit the smaller 6 gallon im pretty sure without body lift though.

2011-10-13%2018.41.35_zpsgxwqfdpe.jpg

2011-10-26173004.jpg

2011-10-26173032.jpg

2011-10-26173250.jpg

I had mine under the passenger seat, using a 2&1/2 gallon tank. For inflating tires and such a tank isn't needed. Where the tank is needed is using air tools. The air tools need a big push of air to work. It was a fun and gratifying project that worked very well.

I used it to rescue my sister, she had a flat tire, inflated her tire on the PDQ! Used an impact wrench to remove tires and replace, and used a cut off wheel to remove buggered exhaust. The cut off tool was the worst for air consumption.

I like your positioning ! it looks good and has a nice big supply of air ! Congrats !

Back