further "kitting" rear end- please give your opinion | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

further "kitting" rear end- please give your opinion

expo5.0

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Red Wing, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 xlt
I'm gettins sort of bored with just having theh rollpan. and i also think it would be neat to do some custom side skirts. if i were going to build custom side skirts, and customize my rollpan to flow into the piece i've just taped in place in my pictures (and customize the piece to fit the exhast through, do you think it would look good?

Attachments

• shouldi1.JPG
    shouldi1.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 900
  • shouldi2.JPG
    shouldi2.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 904
  • SHOULDI3.JPG
    SHOULDI3.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 898

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think it would look good. I thought about that when you made your rollpan, but never said anything. Are you going to do anything for the doors/sideskirts also?

With the EE airdam dropping in front like it does, I think a balance across makes it look better. I've left the running boards on mine for now - just because I didn't like how much lower the airdam was in relation to the rest of the body line. I would like to (actually am going to when the truck gets back) fab up some type of pieces like that. Or something similiar to what JamesT made a while back.

Are the pieces you have on there now custom made, or did you get them from a different kit?

Those would like nice with the pan, but stay away from the exhaust through the sides. I think it's a bit overdone in the truck world now.

PS, thank your for not blurring/blacking out your tag. Do people not realize every time you drive down the road, hundreds of people see your tag?

i still want input- but yeah im definitely doing this. I keep looking at the two pictures up above (not so much the straight on one) and i think it looks incredibly better.

I'm not really a fan of the exhaust that way so much either. i'll just be chopping my exhaust off so it dumps in the rear behind the axle.

also, yes i do plan on doing something with the side skirts as well. I hope to be able to drop them down about 2.5" without making it too obvious. Pretty much i want to avoid the "ricey body kit on an suv look" while also covering up the frame (you know how youc an see it from the side) and getting the rest of the truck as low as the front is with the airdam.

here is a picture of what i don't want to do-

also, thanks for the input guys- both of your opinions are important to me

Attachments

• showbestsuvwinnerresize.JPG
    showbestsuvwinnerresize.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 895

The "clean" exhaust look (no tips) would look nice. The originality of the tips has worn off, not bashing anyone who has them, I'm just a fan of the dumps under the car.

I hate those kits. Why people think that looks good is beyond me. :thumbdwn:
Whether it be they are trying to make their ride 'look' lower, or they think it just looks good - It doesn't.

I also like the dump exhaust. There is a couple of ways to do them, but none of the looks that come out the back really match an Explorer to me.

Drew - Might be a little off-topic, but I've been meaning to ask you if you still have a way to pull your boat (if you still have it). I didn't know if you hid the hitch behind the tag or not, or if you dropped it altogether. I like the roll pan look, but I have too many trailers I need the Explorer to pull, so its pretty much out for me.

Looks pretty cool. I agree, just have the exhaust dump behind the axle. Keep us updated.

Seriously Drew....the difference between a ricer kit and this one is what? I agree the escalade looks g@y, but still.....

You wanted my opinion and there it is.

I'd suggest settling with only the rollpan. Before you know it you just might be like the ugly Caddy.

Personally, I like it the way it is. I've always liked the way your truck looked and think that adding on the rear skirts and extending the side skirts would be putting your truck a little too close to the rice zone, which is something you said you didn't want to do. I say leave it how it is.

I think some side skirts would look nice. Not crazy wild ones with vents and louvers, but just some nice simple ones. Kinda like the 87-93 mustang gt style, they will help you get the lower look to match your airdam, help cover your frame, and will have a nice subtle look to them.

now you just need nudie mudflaps!! :D

I vote no. Looks more performance. I like seeing nice grippy tires. German performance cars show the tread on their fat rear tires enough to make you oogle at the grip they've got, and the tread they can burn. You should too.

If your undercarrige isn't showing, you don't need anything else.

Dude, if the flames down the side dont make enough of a statement, the kit wont either.
I'd leave it alone, and leave it clean.
You've done every other area of the truck, and your still looking for other things to do.
Remember being subtle makes alot more impact sometimes.

Leave the body alone, and find the Chevy to do........

obviously- the challenge will be to bring the sideskirts down as far as i want to without making it appear that i've done anything...

I'm set on doing something with them and the rear, but i also plan doing it in as constrained a manner as possible.

i just hate driving by a window and seeing my frame, and i think the rear end looks too small/too much like an old truck (f150) or something and that this will make it look more modern and more custom and i relish the challenge of doing it in a sublte yet effective way.

also, for those of you who say you've always like the way it looked and that simple is better etc. would you have suggested i build the front bumper i did? would you have suggested i put 18" white wheels on rather than 22" chrome ones (and then compete against trucks with 27s in th shows). a lot of the thing i've done have been radical and they seem to be working so far. You might be right that what i'm considering now might mess things up and ruin the cleanliness of the truck, but i only got to where it is now by doing stuff i wasn't sure of, and i like the way it is now.

so i guess i'm being kind of dumb by asking opinions and then arguing with them- i'm sorry for that, i do really value the opinions (and they will definitely influence the way i do what i'm doing toward subtlety), but i'm in no position not to continue to follow my heart in doing the next "radical" thing that comes to my mind with the truck.

as for the hitch- i currently don't have one because i just decided i couldn't risk parking this truck at any boat launch anyways. I now tow with the 98 suburban. however, i twouldn't be too bad to fabricate a hidden hitch up so that it woudl use 2 vertical cotter pins to slide up under the truck and mount in that manner and also be easily removable

this may sound g@y but dont worry about what other people think, as long as you like it you cant feel bad or regret it. futhermore i think id be diffrent and itd stand out in shows therefore youd win.

well, yeah it really does matter what other people think at this point. I need to get the attention of judges, while not looking stupid or gaudy, while also being reasonable to drive fairly often, while also appealing to my own tastes. it sucks when it begins to matter what others will think about it.

Make the rear guard just slightly higher up than the rockers. If it is even with them, it will actually look like it hangs lower than the sides due to optical illusion. This makes the rear look to bulky. You dont have to keep it up high.... just make sure its a couple of inches higher than the rocker panels.

or flip the paint job up.......

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

here are a couple of really bad pictures of the very beginning of this project.

Attachments

• shouldi5.JPG
    shouldi5.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 768
  • shouldi4.JPG
    shouldi4.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 772
  • shouldi6.JPG
    shouldi6.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 737

Back