Solved - Fuse and relay locations--2nd generation power distribution box Layout- | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Fuse and relay locations--2nd generation power distribution box Layout-

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
thank you , now i took ranger to ford n had them to put it on the diagnostic tester. it says relay 4x4 bad, what do i need to order, the relay part which i've done got goes under the truck bout middle ways. i see where it goes but i checked n no fire going to switch. what would i need to do next?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Guys,
Looking for the color of a wire coming out of the distribution box that gets power when key is turned on. Looking for best wire to tap into and also one that is easily distinguished as there are a few of the same color. Looking to power my fogs on a 98 ranger anytime key is turned on(kinda like DRls with lower voltage) Already located the fog light wire(dark blue with light green stripe. Now just need to know what wire to splice it to to make this work.

Thanks In Advance!!!!

thanks for the welcome and the fast reply. Thick yellow wire, ok, no stripes, just a solid yellow wire. Awesome, anything else i would need to know?

Thanks again!!

If the Ranger has the same aux relay box under the air cleaner(4 relay box), that may have fog light wiring already in it.

Don't cut any factory wiring, or use wiring "taps" to cut into OEM wires. Use proper wiring connectors, and solder any joints running high powered circuits.

looks like the thick yellow wire is a constant. Im looking for one that only gets power when the key is turned on. Any ideas?

Who else hates buying a used vehicle with poor wiring modifications done to them, such as cutting or tapping into the main wires?

Those are the vehicles that have mysterious electrical problems, symptoms affecting several electrical systems.

Do not touch the main wires of the fuse panels, dash, or under hood Power Distribution Box. Only tap into smaller support wiring, find an existing electrical circuit which has the type of wiring needed, and can handle supplying extra current from the existing fused circuit.

That is why I suggested the existing auxiliary fuse box under the air cleaner. I'm not familiar with a Ranger, but all 95-01 Explorers have that relay box. For fog lights, either the wiring is there, or at the least there is an unused relay socket which you can add OEM wires to.

The best way to add circuits is to find an opening in your PDB, then go find a used vehicle with that location used already, and remove and buy those wires/fuses/relays. Those components directly plug into your vehicle, with no cutting of wires.

chasing my tail

those 2nd generation fuse and relay diagrams, would they apply to an 01 sport trac 4x4

No, te PDB changed from 1998 to 1999, and again in around 2001. I think you have a wider and shorter PDB than the earlier trucks. It has different fuses too.

Is there anyone that knows if there is a relay for the transmission located in rear panel on 95 explorer 4X4

I looked on Chiltons for my 96 xlt awd 5.0... The alternator is supposed to be 130 Amps. I dont know if my stock one is 130a or not.

My fuses are set up like the pages earlier in this thread. Im having power issues with multiple things. What if I upgrade all fuses to match the new pics below?

1069313_397250130386952_183853337_n.jpg

254298_397250127053619_1997934728_n.jpg

I am having an issue with my front washer, the pump sprays the rear and not the front, checked a lot except for the two relays under the air intake box, does anyone have a front washer relay part # or photo of what they look like before I remove the box etc to find out, I've found a relay #RY-612 but I have seen others as well that appear larger and have 6+ prongs where the part mentioned above has 5

I drive a 99 Explorer XLT

Many Thanks!

I have an issue where the Power Distribution Box mini fuse #9 (20A) keeps blowing. I start to move the vehicle forward, and then it blows. It is the Fuel pump/RAP fuse, and not sure where the short might be located...any ideas? 2000 Explorer XLT 5.0

Thanks!

I have an issue where the Power Distribution Box mini fuse #9 (20A) keeps blowing. I start to move the vehicle forward, and then it blows. It is the Fuel pump/RAP fuse, and not sure where the short might be located...any ideas? 2000 Explorer XLT 5.0

Thanks!

This thread was created for reference only. I suggest you start a thread in the appropriate sub forum.

Here's the 1999 info.

99 Explorer Page 179.png

99 Explorer Page 180.png

99 Explorer Page 181.png

99 Explorer Page 182.png

99 Explorer Page 183.png

99 Explorer Page 184.png

99 Explorer Page 185.png

99 Explorer Page 186.png

And here's 1998:

98 Explorer Page 136.png

98 Explorer Page 137.png

98 Explorer Page 138.png

98 Explorer Page 139.png

98 Explorer Page 140.png

98 Explorer Page 141.png

98 Explorer Page 142.png

98 Explorer Page 143.png

Thanks on behalf of all ^^^^
You are a generation and a scholar ,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I agree the above information should be a sticky. I think there is some additional related info that would be helpful.

I know there 3 relays located over the gas pedal. I believe 1 is for the battery saver and 1 is for the auto-down feature for the driver's window. What's the 3rd relay for and does anyone know which relay is which?

Also, there are relays located in a small box under the air cleaner box. I believe one is for the fog/driving lights and there are at least 2 more, which I believe are for the front & rear window washers. Is there a 4th relay? Again, which relay is which?

I don't think this thread has covered these locations and I haven't seen it covered by the owner's manual.

Edit: Found this image for the relay's over the gas pedal... shows 7 relays.
2009-11-14_204927_delay.gif

I found this for the relay box under the air cleaner, but it's not official and incomplete.
Slide4.jpg

Back