1. Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

gas mileage/electrical?

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by AgInternational, April 12, 2012.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. AgInternational

AgInternational New Member

City, State:
    Carpinteria, California
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '91 Sport
    I drove my 91 2 door sport about 30 minutes then shut it off. about an hour later, I started it up and the radio, blinkers(not the emergency flashers), power windows, and fan panel did not work. I drove for about 10 minutes then shut it off. about 2 hours later I started it and everything worked. that was 3 days ago and everything still works.

Now, since then my fuel gauge is dropping a lot faster, thus horrible gas mileage. I don't know if they are related or not. maybe its just a coincident. I'm not sure. Does anyone know why this is happening? anything helps, thanks.

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Anime

Anime EF YEAH!! Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    2018 EX Sport Concept
    My guess would be the ECU. When the capacitors on the ECU motherboard get old, they leak, and can damage the other electrical components, or damage the pathways between them. The most common symptom is a vehicle that won't start even though everything else is fine, but other random electrical issues or strange problems with no explanation that come and go seemingly randomly have also been traced back to a bad ECU.

The solution is to remove the ECU and have the bad caps replaced with new ones, but since most people don't have the caps or soldering skills to do so, they either send it out for a refurbishing, or just buy a used ECU that hopefully lasts a little longer. You can't buy a new one anymore, and even if you could, they'd be hundreds of dollars. The caps themselves are only a few dollars apiece, if that, but the cost is in the equipment to do the job and the skill to do it without damage. You can buy semi-refurb'ed ones at auto parts store or on Rockauto for a hundred or so, and if they don't have yours in stock, they can take yours and refurb it instead. They don't always do a great job, but there aren't many other options unless you know someone who can do precision soldering.

4. AgInternational

AgInternational New Member

City, State:
    Carpinteria, California
    '91 Sport
    I also had one time where I turned the key, the dash lights all came on, but when I continued to turn everything went dead. I jumped it and all was well. no problems with that since.

5. Anime

Anime EF YEAH!! Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    2018 EX Sport Concept
    You might try just looking up under the dash with a flashlight, and also inspecting the engine compartment wiring as well. Even just replacing the underhood ECU relay with a good one might yield results. It could be a simpler, smaller electrical issue, but the ECU is my guess when it's wierd electrial issues.

6. Mettler

Mettler Active Member

City, State:
    Monroe, WA
    98 exploder sport 4x4
    Do you have an alarm? check that too.