Gas modified by Acetone results | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gas modified by Acetone results

Starting tank (this tank was with NO Acetone and was prior to testing) -
mpg - 16.58

Second tank with ratio of 2 oz / 10 gallons -
mpg - 18.24

Third tank with same ratio -
mpg - 19.25

Keep in mind that the above mileage reports are with about 80% highway / 20% city driving and all with a heavy foot. On the highway the cruise control was set at 75 mph

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

These reports offer validity to the use of acetone as a mileage enhancer.

It takes about three to four tanks to get the effect of acetone on the OBDII vehicles. That is my own personal experience. I just did a 500 mile trip up to northern California and I got 26.8 mpg with 80/20 hwy/city driving. Not bad for a 4x4.

Wow, I like the sounds of this. It is still hard to believe, but I'll probably try it also. Hopefully it can also make a difference in constant stop and go driving. I get a very dependable 10 mpg while delivering mail with my 93 Limited 4x4. Hopefully the SOHC will help. $30-40 per week is adding up.
Don

RickOTR said:
It takes about three to four tanks to get the effect of acetone on the OBDII vehicles. That is my own personal experience. I just did a 500 mile trip up to northern California and I got 26.8 mpg with 80/20 hwy/city driving. Not bad for a 4x4.

A couple of questions:

(1) Why do you think it takes several tanks?

(2) What mixture were you using.

Because that i what I have experienced myself and what I have been told by others who have tried acetone. I use 2 oz. of acetone per 10 gallons of gas. This seems to work best for me, you may have to try different blends to see what works for your X. Trial and error.

Seafoam does contain acetone and works wonders on some of the old engines I have "saved". I have heard it nick-named "mechanic in a can". The 5.0 explorer I just bought went from "ho-hum" when I stomped the pedal to "0-chit! aim it before you stomp!" since I have added a can to a couple of tankfuls. I put the acetone in the Ranger at 2oz-10gal and it has a little more pep than before when climbing hills; easy to notice this with a four-banger. I will try the 1oz-10gal next.

How do you know that this acetone won't cause any long term damage? You know, things like seals and such?

andylant2003 said:
How do you know that this acetone won't cause any long term damage? You know, things like seals and such?

See this thread the topic is pretty well beat to death there :)

This looks pretty good. We should ask these questions though: What's to say acetone isn't any different than Amsoil Performance Improver? Or Chevron Techron? Or any other cleaner/additive? If someone did testing with those products, they may well arrive at the same mileage figures. Aren't those all valid questions?

Rhett said:
This looks pretty good. We should ask these questions though: What's to say acetone isn't any different than Amsoil Performance Improver? Or Chevron Techron? Or any other cleaner/additive? If someone did testing with those products, they may well arrive at the same mileage figures. Aren't those all valid questions?
I have used Amsoil Performance Improver with good initial results but they were not sustained. I have used Lube Control's Fuel Power also but didn't see as big of an improvement as with acetone.

The economics;
Amsoil= $0.48/oz treatment $0.048/gal might as well by higher octane
Fuel Power=$0.29/oz treatment $0.029/gal
Acetone= $0.11/oz treatment $0.011/gal

To treat 1010 gallons would cost $48.60 and reduce the annual savings (based on a 1mpg improvement) by $38

Acetone being so inexpensive in relation to the increase mpg is what is holding our interest, (well at least mine)

Those are valid questions and there are other things we can do to improve our MPG, as Aldive has done.

I wonder what the ingredients are on those improvers. Seems to me one could easily put 2 oz of acetone in a bottle, dilute it with gas, and sell it as a mileage booster.

MDPuckett84 said:
I wonder what the ingredients are on those improvers. Seems to me one could easily put 2 oz of acetone in a bottle, dilute it with gas, and sell it as a mileage booster.

I thought about that a long time ago, but after talking to an attorney I changed my mind. I would have to deal with the EPA, Federal Government, and the liability issues of it possibly causing engine damage to someones vehicle.

Here's my previous posts wrapped up into one:
Date Miles Gallons MPG Change
4/8 106 8.027 13.21 --
4/15 146 10.1 14.46 1.25
4/24 110 8.076 13.62 -.84
5/10 220 17.41 12.64 -.98
Begin Acetone
5/14 219 14.78 14.81 2.17
5/20 264 19.48 13.55 -1.26
5/27 275 17.22 15.97 2.42
Looks like im finally getting some improvement. Scratch what i said before about adjusting these for tire size, I flashed my PCM to account for it, yet my GPS still says im off about 10%, so I'm not sure yet if the flash isnt working correctly, or if the GPS is wrong.

MDPuckett84 said:
...adjusting these for tire size, I flashed my PCM to account for it, yet my GPS still says im off about 10%, so I'm not sure yet if the flash isnt working correctly, or if the GPS is wrong.

Hello Matthew, did you know that your speedometer was probably inaccurate before you changed tires? It is apparently very common for stock Explorers to register faster than actual speeds.

My 98 Mountaineer is extremely close to being accurate now, with 30.6" tires on it. It registers one or two mph slow, depending on a 40mph speed, or a 65mph speed. Obviously the 29" stock tires were too small for the stock calibration.

Any PCM adjustment needs to take into account the original error, as well as a tire diameter change. Make a thread about correcting your speedometer if you adjust it again. Regards,
Don

Interesting, I wasnt aware of that. I suppose i'll quit worrying about it then.

CDW6212R said:
Hello Matthew, did you know that your speedometer was probably inaccurate before you changed tires? It is apparently very common for stock Explorers to register faster than actual speeds.

My 98 Mountaineer is extremely close to being accurate now, with 30.6" tires on it. It registers one or two mph slow, depending on a 40mph speed, or a 65mph speed. Obviously the 29" stock tires were too small for the stock calibration.

Any PCM adjustment needs to take into account the original error, as well as a tire diameter change. Make a thread about correcting your speedometer if you adjust it again. Regards,
Don

I bought a speedometer calibration box at the same time as i changed tires. When I found out how close the speedometer is without modification, I decided to leave it alone for now. My tires and wheels are a little too heavy and tall, and I will choose something close to 30" next time.
Don

Just completed a run to Naples, FL; total of 223 miles. I used Amoco 89 gas with 1 fl oz/ 10 gal gas.

The average speed was 68.4 MPH ( Garmin Street Pilot 2620 GPS determined ), fuel used 6.8 gallons, yielding 32.7 MPG.

I am a beleiver in the use of acetone at the above rate.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just became aware of something that (at least to me) is somewhat significant. I made absolutely no changes to my X since I started using the acetone addition a few weeks ago. My OHV 6 has always seemed to run well with very little or no stumbling, vibrations or no starts. But today I did something that I never tried before. I tried to restart an already running engine! There had always been some (even slight) vibration that lets you know that the engine is running. But today there was absolutely NOTHING! When I turned the key and the starter gave off that heart wrenching grinding sound, I had to look at the tachometer in order to assure myself that it was actually running! And then I still didn't believe it so I opened the hood! I cannot ever remember seeing such smoothness.

So with a smoother running engine, plus acetone at $12 per gallon and an average increase of up to 4.5 miles per gallon, I will continue adding 1 ounce of acetone per 10 gallons of gasoline in my little baby.

Back