• Register Today It's free!

Gas Needle

03XLT4X4

Reaction score
City, State
Alexandria,La
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLT
Ok guys and or girls I filled up my take tonight and my needle will not go over half a tank is this bad I have a family reunion to go to this weekend and want to make sure its safe for my gf two kids and I to take this trip any help would be nice thanx to all that reply

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you leave it running while you filled it up?

If so, go look at it this morning.

I wouldn't think it would be a safety issue (unless you find a large puddle of gas under the truck, say about a half tanks worth). Just keep an eye on your mileage if the gauge dosen't move from the half tank mark so you don't run out of gas somewhere. As long as you know roughly what mileage you get you can estimate about how much you have in the tank.

Thanx guys. No I always turn my truck off when I fill up. It just has me worried I can't afford to be on side of the road with my daughter she has heart problems and she's only one my sons two. But thanx guys imma about to go check the needle now and see if it moves.

Just FYI then, if the switch is left "ON" during fill-up it will delay the correct indication of the fuel level.

Ok guys so I went to go and get a hair cut so Er could leave out sometime today. While I was out and about I started to see the needle go up. After my hair cut I drove about 10miles around town and it finally went up to where it is suppose to be. I'll keep an eye on it thank you guys for yalls input

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Have a safe trip and a good reunion and holiday!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Have a safe trip and a good reunion and holiday!

Thank you buddy if it wasn't for yall I'd probably still be freaking out. I will be safe on my trip. Yall have a great and safe 4th of July weekend. Again thank yall for yalls time.

I had the same problem. Merc dealer said the float in the tank get gummed up and to use a good "industrial strength" fuel system cleaner. Worked like a charm. 3 years later it doing it again. Looks like I need another bottle

I had and have this same issue. Had the sender unit replaced once and all I do is disconnect the battery for 5 minutes and when I reconnect it, it works :thumbsup:

Back