Gear selector not working on 1997 Manual Ford Explorer XL 4WD RHD | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gear selector not working on 1997 Manual Ford Explorer XL 4WD RHD

Scotsman01

Reaction score
City, State
Gold Coast
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XL Export
I was driving when my selector just stopped working. No gear forward or reverse. The engine is still running and there is no grating noise.
1. Can you tell me where to look on a RHD vehicle.
2. Is a photograph available
3. Is there a video on my model for the repair/replacement for my model car

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could be a few different reasons, but I would suspect the transfercase first.

Get under it and give it a visual inspection. Look at the drive shafts, and anything else that might not look right. Does the shifter feel right? Does it still go into gear working the clutch like normal? Any fluids leaking out of the trans or transfercase?

If all looks mechanically sound, it's more than likely something internal. The transfercase usually fails before the transmission does.

Going back from the drivetrain, would be the rear differential. If the pinion gear snapped, you would have no power to the axles, but it would make abnormal noises, and fairly easy to figure out there is an issue in there.

Try putting it in 4low, and see if it will move forward or back at all. If it does move, than you know its not the trans and maybe not the transfercase.

Give us an update as you go, and we can try to help you.

I have looked under and there appears to be no leaks. My research has revealed that the Gear shift cable is a frequent reason for the fault I am describing. I have always been told to look for the simplest solution first. My Ford is a RHD so I am not sure where I should be looking for the Cable connection into the gearbox. Can you help with an area I can look at to locate it. All help and advice is appreciated .
Regards
Scotsman

Thanks for that , I will get back to you with the result

Back