Gear Shift Broke Off in Hands!!! | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gear Shift Broke Off in Hands!!!

Pete, you're a miracle worker!
Ford all but told me to jump in a lake if I didn't want to replace the entire steering column - doubt I'll ever buy another 2002 Ford Exploder given all the similar problems with this model year.
But your fix did the trick, I'm back on the road! You and the guys on this forum are the best!
Best wishes,
Richard

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Glad to have helped. Easyer to drive, than walk.

No kidding, particularly with an Exploder!
I'd bypassed the upper switch as well as 'overkill', which prevented me from shifting from park - not a good idea. Just clipped the zip strap from the upper micro switch and all is well. The lower switch is the key release!
!Many thanks!
Richard

CRAP! I had the same problem!! Can't we just bypass that part? bah!

When you say"just bypass that part" do you mean the upper or the lower micro switch? Pete

Yes, but my mistake - I didn't see the other pages in this thread until after replied to the thread. I apologize. I was in shock reading I would have to replace the whole column because of a cheap pot metal part - hence my freak-out post. I have about had enough of this 02. Cracked back hatch, key stuck in the ignition, slipping transmission, wheel bearings whining, radio that I can't control with the volume knob, trim falling off the interior doors. ug. I expected this from my 92, but a 10 year newer vehicle should stay together a little longer. I really loved this truck when I first bought it. Anyway- thanks to you guys, I found and ordered the $48 part to fix my shifter - I was about to call the junk yard... not for a part, but to come get this thing out of my driveway!
Blaine

Hey, Hubertech!
Yep, frustrating. But Explorer Pete got me through the experience with flying colors! Follow his advice, you'll be back on the road in almost no time! Dremel with cutoff wheels is ESSENTIAL to remove the old part - studied this thing for an entire day and would never have figured it out without Pete's assistance!
Another benefit of replacing the part - no longer have to 'double pull' to get the transmission into park. Be certain to use lithium grease on the replacement part and the ball shifter - will make it much smoother!
Zip tie on the lower micro switch (again, thanks Pete!) will solve the stuck key problem. Don't zip tie the upper, however - you won't be able to shift.

Awesome - thanks so much for your advise! I had my exploder stolen because of the stuck key - coupled with the face that my wife left a window open overnight. I should be happy the shifter broke on the thieves as my truck was found the next city over in a parking lot - face in. I think they would still be driving it! They stole the entry remote so I think I need to replace and reprogram a new one at some point. I think they were pissed that they couldn't drive it anymore so they broke out the passenger window and stole the battery too. Not bad as my 92 XLT - It was stolen 2 years ago and that one came back with no tires, battery, alternator, intake, and missing starter.
Well I'm done venting. I should have the shifter part by the end of the week and I'll hope I can get the thing in without too much trouble.
Thanks again!! Explorerforum ROCKS!
Blaine

You won't have to take the ignition switch out when you replace the part - so fortunately it won't affect the anti-theft. You may need to clear the codes on the airbag however. I did.
Also, disconnect your battery at least 10 minutes before you take off the airbag - it holds a charge and could be dangerous! Same when reinstalling the airbag. You'll need Torx for the steering wheel.

I have the same problem what to do ???/

I did this repair a bit different. I could not get my steering wheel off, so I used my saws-all to cut the old part out - I just made the cut as close as I could to the bracket and everything popped out. I had no problems putting the new part in, except for one thing. I could not get both shims in - the groove for the circlip was not accessible, so I ended up cutting the flanges off the shims before installing the new part. It worked perfectly. I tried it without the shims, but the lever was unacceptably sloppy. I think if the circlip slot was machined just 1 more mm out, it would have worked. Other than that - kudos to the aftermarket part! Saved me a fortune! Thank You!

it's a relatively easy repair. Don't blame yourself, these shifters have a tendency to break very easily. I have done this repair on my neighbor's truck. It is a relatively easy repair, i don't see how a professional repair facility would not know how to repair it. I would take your truck elsewhere to get repaired. I have attached a youtube video showing the nature of this repair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkq3u6lj2v0

just an fyi for everyone. My neighbor had the same issue with her 2003 explorer. The shifter fell off in her hand last night on her way to work. Dorman now has this part available, i ordered one from rock auto, part number 905-104. I'll be installing it this weekend. The part costs about $32.00, alot cheaper than buying a column from the dealer.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

guys, i just registered to thank you the information provided by you. This is it... All needed to save $1019 ( as cheap! Informed by dealers, mechanics, and part sellers ) was just to find your very valuable postings. Dorman part 905-104 , and hands on .
Cheers for you existance !!! ;) yOU ARE THE BEST !!!

guys, i just registered to thank you the information provided by you. This is it... All needed to save $1019 ( as cheap! Informed by dealers, mechanics, and part sellers ) was just to find your very valuable postings. Dorman part 905-104 , and hands on .
Cheers for you existance !!! ;) yOU ARE THE BEST !!!

eduatexplore - glad to help out! It's nice to see people benefit from each other's experiences.

Thank BigRondo for pointing me to this direction. Using newtek007 picture
IMG_9355.jpg

this is what happen to my father explorer as well. So is it correct to say that I have to replace the entire steering column or can i just replace using STEERING COLUMN SHIFT LINKAGE COUPLER LEVER BRACKET

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/STEE...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

thank you

Shift lever

You can just replace the bad shift lever part, without removing the steering wheel. Get the Dorman part that has the "C" clip. It realy makes the job alot easier. Look at the above replys in this Thread, to help you get ready for the task at hand. If you need more help, give me a msg. Good Luck Pete :salute:

Thank you Explorer Pete

Thanks Explorer Pete, you save me alot of money. The part from Dorman with c-clip fit perfect.

Glad the info and the part put you back on the road.:D

Count me in...

Ford Explorer 2002 Eddie Bauer 8cyl 2WD 4.6L 86,500 miles

Last Thursday i went to buy some chlorine for my pool...and just about when i was ready to leave the store, turned on my engine, pressed the break pedal, pulled the gear shift handle...and there i was with my eyes wide open wondering what happened!!!!

Called for road assistance...and all they did was to get under my Ford, released the cable from the transmission and placed it on Drive!!! I was able to get home.... Not before calling a Ford dealer and getting the terrible news that to repair it was near $2,000.00!!!! I was shocked!!!

Fortunately, there were all you guys!!!!! I went through all the replies and it helped me get calmed. There was hope!!! I ordered the required part which i believe will arrive today at my home. I have reviewed all the steps, even watched a youtube video which is great...so i guess im pretty much ready for the task.

Nevertheless, i've been able to used (on a moderate basis) my Explorer shifting using the little joint that moves back and forward.

I still have some questions/concerns...

1. Do i really have to remove the wheel/airbag? i got scared with all the warning about the airbag. Is there a youtube video on how to exactly do it?
2. Apparently there are two different replacement parts one of them with a "C" bracket. Im not really sure which one i ordered. I'll find out soon.
3. What is the top micro-switch used for? while trying to understand what happened i damage the little metal part that pushes and releases the circuit ...i know the bottom one is the Key release...

If i can get some answers....you will definately help me....and i promise i'll come back with my results...for future people coming for the same problem.

Thanks,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

rfardonk, sorry to hear that you are another bit by ford's crappy idea. You don't need to remove the airbag, the plastic cover will bend out of the way as you instal the new part. a bit of a pain in the ass, but you can do it. As for the top micro switch, being 63, and not having the explorer any more, traided in on a 08 Escape, the length of time since I had to work on it, try to carefully fix the upper switch, or it could give you problems shifting out of park( i think), old man brain fart. If you go back in the thread, I think some one made mention about the switch. Hope this helps. If you need more info ,drop me a message. I check this site every day. Pete

Back