1. Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Dismiss Notice

Gear shift problem lots of play no park

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by Business socks, December 30, 2009.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. Business socks

Business socks New Member

City, State:
    Monroe nc
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2001 mountaineer monterey
    I have 2001 mountaineer that drives like a dream. The other day I get in to find the shifter on the column has alot of play. I'm having trouble getting into park and 1. After a week of this it gets progressively worse. I can't get into park or 1 at all. I can put it into where park is and get my keys out but its not in park. I called 20 dealership just to get I've never heard that before answers. I am pretty mechanically inclined so if anyone has ideas please help me out. Thanks. Oh I searched the forumns for this and found where shifters broke off and the indicator was off but nothing was just like this. I just have mass quantity of play and can't get it into park

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. team

team Active Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    i would get underneath the vehicle and make sure the shifter cable is still securely in the bracket attached to the transmission. You may need to readjust it if the lock on it is loose.