Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Gear Shift Stuck in Park

Discussion in 'Stock 2006 -2010 Explorers' started by TLEE, September 8, 2009.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. jbwilli

jbwilli New Member

City, State:
      marietta ga
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1997 XLT & SPORT
      Thanks much, but if you read my post all the way to the end, I have already ruled that out as my problem. It is not the Shift Interlock Module. It works perfectly every time I press the brake and unlocks the shifter lock inside the center console...I can see it happen! I truly believe I have a problem with the park pawl to notched park gear in the rear housing of the transmission! Thanks for the comment regardless! I will have to drop the drive shaft and then pull the rear housing cover off to see it. ...more to come!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. jbwilli

jbwilli New Member

City, State:
      marietta ga
      1997 XLT & SPORT
      Thanks much, but if you read my post all the way to the end, I have already ruled that out as my problem. It is not the Shift Interlock Module. It works perfectly every time I press the brake and unlocks the shifter lock inside the center console...I can see it happen! I truly believe I have a problem with the park pawl to notched park gear in the rear housing of the transmission! Thanks for the comment regardless! I will have to drop the drive shaft and then pull the rear housing cover off to see it. ...more to come!
      WATCH THIS VIDEO TO SEE HOW IT WORKS!

4. Ornery

Ornery Active Member

City, State:
      Northeast Ohio
      2006 Explorer EB V8 4WD
      Sorry JB. If I'm hearing you correctly, you're saying that even when the interlock mechanism is fully retracted, you still can't pull it out of park.

As you can see, this thread has pretty much become dedicated to the interlock issue. I wouldn't wish your repair on anyone. Good luck!

Last edited: August 19, 2017
    5. jbwilli

jbwilli New Member

City, State:
      marietta ga
      1997 XLT & SPORT
      Let me see if I can make it clear why I know it is not my Shift Control Module! To find out if the Shift Control Module was failing intermittently, I pulled the center console cover off the last 2 times it occurred and the Shift Control Module was working perfectly every time I pushed the brake. The car remained stuck in park with the Shift Control Module and "black plastic thingy" pushed fully forward and down into the "unlock" position! In my case, it is not the Shift Control Module at all...it works perfectly each and every time!

IMPORTANT NOTE: When you attempt to move the gearshift lever out of park WITHOUT pressing the brake pedal, the shifter will NOT MOVE AT ALL (same would occur IF the Shift Control Module was not working). It is locked into place by the "black plastic thingy". When I press on the brake pedal, I can see the Shift Control Module push the "black plastic thingy" into the fully unlocked position AND then the shifter will now move a short distance and halfway into Park only because it is unlocked in the center console ONLY.

At this point, the shift control cable starts moving the lever on the left side of the transmission to pull the park pawl out of the locked position, but the resistance is too great. IMHO, this is the only thing left to prevent the shift lever from moving out of PARK??? Why does it only happen rarely? Because there could be only 1 notch that is worn or damaged in the park pawl gear that has appx 20 or more notches in it.....like Russian Roulette, when the park pawl engages by chance into that 1 of 20 plus notches AND I am on an incline....I GET STUCK IN PARK! I could also have a weak or broken spring on my park pawl??? That little spring is the ONLY thing pulls the park pawl out of engagement! Comments again are welcome and I appreciate them all!

6. Ornery

Ornery Active Member

City, State:
      Northeast Ohio
      2006 Explorer EB V8 4WD
      Morning JB. I was editing my previous post at the same time you were posting. I would get a quote from a transmission shop or two. That would give you an idea of how the repair would be done correctly. Also, start a new thread with parking pawl in the title.

7. jbwilli

jbwilli New Member

City, State:
      marietta ga
      1997 XLT & SPORT
      YES YES, now you understand correctly! My hope is that one of the notches in the park pawl ring gear is damaged AND that it can be hand filed back to smooth. I can see how if you were still rolling forward and selected PARK before coming to a complete stop, that the park pawl could enter the notch and slam you to a stop and possibly dent the park pawl and/or ring gear notch....OR it could be as simple as a weak or broken park pawl return spring. If either of the above are true, I can drop the drive shaft and remove a few bolts to remove the rear transmission cover (this is a non wetted area) and gain access to all of the above and repair it. IF that park pawl ring gear needs replacing, the transmission would have to come out! .....more to come!

8. pkn

pkn Active Member

City, State:
      Houston, TX
      '92 '05 '10 2WDstockXLTs
      2010 Ford Explorer XLT, V6 2WD, ~19k (yes thats right, under 20k), gear shift lever is on the floor (center console), recently developed same problem -- stuck in "park", no "click" when I press brake pedal (brake lights work). Have to fidget it for minute or two before it finally clicks-when-brake-pedal-pressed and lets me shift to rear.

I'm not asking for help (yet :)) just reporting another occurrence, making note to myself about this extremely useful thread and most of all using an opportunity to say thanks for all the contributors! You guys are great. I'm sure I'll be able to fix it with all the info from this thread.

Last edited: March 6, 2018