1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Gen 2 Speedo Calibration

Discussion in 'General Explorations!!' started by Jet Ski Puller, December 21, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Jet Ski Puller

Jet Ski Puller Active Member

City, State:
      Clinton, UT
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '98 EB V8 AWD
      How do you recalibrate the speedo on a 98 5.0? Is it by changing a gear where the cable attaches to the tranny like on the Gen 1 models?

Thanks.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. ExplorerDMB

ExplorerDMB Moderator/Technician Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Mechanicsville, Virginia
      2004 Acura TL
      I do not believe so. I believe it is electronic - but I am not 100% sure, but I'm 75% sure.

-Drew

4. Lee S.

Lee S. Active Member

City, State:
      Northport, NY
      '98 XLT
      I'm pretty sure that you can get your Apten chip reburned to take care of the speedo difference. Good luck with that...If it's a diablo, Apten really doesn't want to hear about since Brian left and he's the one who programed diablo's for them.

Lee

5. Jet Ski Puller

Jet Ski Puller Active Member

City, State:
      Clinton, UT
      '98 EB V8 AWD
      OK, I can buy that the system is electronic and has to be programmed . . . I understand that could change the speedo needle reading, but what about the odometer? Are you saying that is electronically driven as well?

6. Lee S.

Lee S. Active Member

City, State:
      Northport, NY
      '98 XLT
      Good question and I don't know the answer...I haven't used a chip yet tho I have an Apten diablo sitting here which I bought from another member. Still trying to figure out how to get it reburned and I've been thinking about bagging it altogether and going with a scanner/tuner. Now I'm sure that chips and/or scanners can be programmed according to the size of the tire your are running. I believe they do this by changing the revolution rate of the the larger tire vs. stock....so I gotta believe this will also change the odometer accordingly. Having said this don't take my word for it...your best bet is to contact Apten and ask them.

Lee