Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

general PCV/breather question

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by Mrooney322, July 18, 2013.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Mrooney322

Mrooney322 Active Member

City, State:
    White plains
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2004 ford explorer
    afternoon all,
    very seldom poster here, but i have a few questions about the PCV/ valve breather on my 04 ex. first of all there seems to be oil in the breather tube, understandably with 177,xxx miles on my 4.0 v6 there should be an increased amount of blow-by. i was wondering if this had anything to do with the PCV and if so could someone guide me to troubleshooting the problem.

i have heard of people putting a pneumatic air filter inline with the breather from the intake to the valve cover. would there be any issues with doing this?

any input would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Dave8338

Dave8338 Member

2002 Explorer XLT 4.0L
    Greetings. How much oil is in the tube? Is it just oil vapor OR, when you remove the tube and hold it vertical to the ground, does oil drip out?

There is going to be "some" oil vapor and droplets in the tube BUT it should not be excessive to the point of dripping out. Does the check valve in the PVC valve rattle when you shake it? Rattle is good, NO rattle is bad. 177xxx miles is not excessive by any means.

4. Mrooney322

Mrooney322 Active Member

City, State:
    White plains
    2004 ford explorer
    well by no means is it pouring out, theres just residue and i havent checked my PCV yet, just to verify it is on the drivers side in the back of the engine? i followed the hose back there it was just too hot to get in there today.

any thoughts on the filter? pros or cons? not that its really needed but just to keep everything a little cleaner.

5. caspian65

caspian65 New Member

City, State:
    Apex, NC
    2002 Explorer
    I just changed the PCV on the '02 with 213k miles. This was my wife's daily driver up until recently. I didn't even know it had a PCV until I read something here and ordered a new one. Mine was still rattling, but could tell it was sticky. The motor seems to idle smoother now. Didn't notice any oil in the hose.

6. Dave8338

Dave8338 Member

2002 Explorer XLT 4.0L
    I wouldn't bother with a filter. The system is designed to handle "normal" oil vapor, as that is its' intended purpose. :thumbsup:

7. Mrooney322

Mrooney322 Active Member

City, State:
    White plains
    2004 ford explorer
    great thanks a lot for your input