George Washington Nation Forest Run, 9/24/11 | Page 16 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

George Washington Nation Forest Run, 9/24/11

Advancetrac RSC came on the 2005 and later trucks and part of what it does is it basically senses when a wheel is spinning and applies the brakes a little bit to just that wheel to keep it from spinning as fast (traction control).

Truetrac is a limited slip unit but it doesn't use clutches, it uses worm gears instead so it doesnt wear out like clutches. Cool thing about the truetrac is when you get a spinning wheel you can *lightly* apply the brakes or put in the parking brake a click or two and the whole thing will lock up so both wheels on that axle get the power again, just like a locker.

So if you have truetracs in the front and rear on a 2005 and later truck it's great because when you start to get unequal wheel spin on front/rear axles, the brake system automatically senses that and grabs the faster spinning wheels a little, which makes the truetracs lock up so you get power back to all the wheels again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Advancetrac RSC came on the 2005 and later trucks and part of what it does is it basically senses when a wheel is spinning and applies the brakes a little bit to just that wheel to keep it from spinning as fast (traction control).

Truetrac is a limited slip unit but it doesn't use clutches, it uses worm gears instead so it doesnt wear out like clutches. Cool thing about the truetrac is when you get a spinning wheel you can *lightly* apply the brakes or put in the parking brake a click or two and the whole thing will lock up so both wheels on that axle get the power again, just like a locker.

So if you have truetracs in the front and rear on a 2005 and later truck it's great because when you start to get unequal wheel spin on front/rear axles, the brake system automatically senses that and grabs the faster spinning wheels a little, which makes the truetracs lock up so you get power back to all the wheels again.

since i have it I may as well make use of it and buy cheaper parts LOL the advancetrac sucks off road but traction control can as stated be useful

Yea was going to say i thought they sucked for off road but i guess if you have a locker or truetrac it would be better.glad i got a 92 simple turn a knob and its 4x3 or 4x4 hahah ;)

I am not sure if we need firwood. I would have to check with Fishfood. It is never a bad idea to bring some, but if I was betting i would bet that we do not have to bring any.

I just checked the weather and we hav about a 50% chance of thunderstorms. That wont have any effect on Stoney Run, may make it more fun. At Fishfoods, his ground is that slick ass "red clay" I call it elastic silt, but that is not important, It will get really slick if it is wet. But that will just make it that much more challenging. Saturday is supposed to be clear.

I have a trutrac in my front. It does a good job for a LS.

I have pj mud tires and 4 wheel locked so it shouldn't be a problem for me but that clay gets slick for at's. Fri night,sat and sun look clear and nice.but you know how that works.im going to bring some of those 4 hour fire logs also don't have alt of room for firewood.

That dirt if it gets wet will in places turn to baby $hit and even mudgrips and lockers may not get you up some of the climbs. It is OK if it is soaked the tires dig in, but if just the surface is wet, you get better traction on ice. Usually this time of year, the trees take most of the moisture out of the soil, and the sun take care of the the rest, so it should be just good old dirty fun.

As I said, Stoney Run is mostly rocks, and a little sand, so rain really does not make it to slick.

I have pj mud tires and 4 wheel locked so it shouldn't be a problem for me but that clay gets slick for at's. Fri night,sat and sun look clear and nice.but you know how that works.im going to bring some of those 4 hour fire logs also don't have alt of room for firewood.

I'm bringing a box if you want to bring yours cool but I also have a box of fat wood for starting anything.

Well looks like a chance of rain fri and sat now!!:(

All that shinny metal and pretty paint is going to get covered in good old fashion mountain mud. I can't wait.

we are going to have to go to an over look on the blue ridge parkway and get a pic of all our trucks,maybe at sunset :)man i hope it dont rain fri night,i hate setting up camp in the rain

yea can we get a break.60mph in nc and thunder storms this time!!!:mad::mad:

im ok with rain/thunder. its calming.

lol at both of us having disassembled trucks 3 days before the trip

hahaha mines real close they didnt finish the rear drive shaft like they said they would so all i need to do is put new ujoints in it and install it.need to check fluids and re wire my trans fan and get those rear tires balanced fri morning.i have all ready started pulling down all my camping stuff:D

The end of Stoney Run is at Bald Knob on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

The weather man keeps saying rain, rain, rain bau humbug!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im bringing some big Ass tarps we can setup at the campsite.hopefully there is trees around we can tie them off too.so if you got rope or bungy cords bring them

Back