Get rid of that Ford Famous Squat? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Get rid of that Ford Famous Squat?

Brandon96

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Central Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT 4.0 OHV
I'm sure there's a number of posts reguarding the many ways to do this. I want to know the BEST way, and how I can go abouts doing that. I've heard Shocks, Liftkits, Blocks... tons of different ways. I Beleive the simplest and easiest would be to install the towing shackles. My question is, Will someone (preferably who has had the problem) describe to me how they did it? I plan, after getting the rear off the ground, to get the front end off the ground aswell. But apparently in a 1996 Explorer XLT, that might be easier said than done?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just do a search for "TT & Shackles" you'll get it even, and might get a little lift for under 100 dlls in just a couple of hours

Welcome to the forum

...Welcome here...:D

...This may be of some help when searching for answers...
search_EF.gif

...For some other help you can check out the "How To" in my signature...;)

I really appreciate both you guys for responding. By talking to one of my buddies from here, I beleive some warrior shackles would do the trick. I'm now goign to begin looking into how to get the front end up a couple inches, nothing dramatic, any ideas? And also, either of you know if stock sized BFG A/T's would look rediculous with 1.5 to 2 inches of lift? I don't want to go to far up without expanding the tire size.

Here's mine with ~1.2" of lift after TT & shackles and stock size AT's:
DSCF0136.jpg

The BEST way? The best way is new springs. Shackles are a crutch. All you're doing is changing the mounting height and still using old worn out springs.

...I like worn out springs...Add shackle's and an AAL and you will still have flex...:D

Torsion twist for the front...that's the "TT" everyone's talking about.

Should be some very recent posts on this topic (by me)! Working on the same thing... going with the WAR153 shackles, new leafs, and some TT if necessary!

I just lower the front to match the back.:biggthump

Where I come from we call it a PML "Poor mans lift"

Back