Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Getting cat pee smell out of garage

Discussion in 'Exploring everything under the sun!!' started by gijoecam, March 15, 2009.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. gijoecam

gijoecam Village Idiot Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Trenton, MI
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    98 ExSport, '00 F-150
    I'm pissed. (No pun intended) Yesterday, I grilled chicken for dinner. While the grille was cooling off, I left the garage door open with the intent of letting the grille cool off while we ate, then storing it in the garage, covering it, and closing the door after dinner. Well, one thing led to another and, long story short, I forgot to go get the grille and close the garage.

Apparently at some point in the night, one of the feral cats from the neighborhood (we have probably a half-dozen or more thanks to some irresponsible neighbors) decided to mark his new-found territory. Needless to say, I'm not a happy camper right now. I absolutely hate the smell of cat urine, and now I'm stuck with a garage that smells like it worse than I've ever smelled it before.

Does anyone know of a way to track down exactly what it may have sprayed on? Do those black lights available at the pet store work at identifying the stains? I'm afraid that, being a garage, any of a number of chemicals are going to fluoresce under one of those lights... I think I've got it narrowed down to a particular area, but I don't have any way to know for sure.

My only other option is to try and empty the garage and scrub down the concrete with something powerful... Not a spring project I was looking forward to doing...

-Joe

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. dogfriend

dogfriend Human-Animal Hybrid

City, State:
    Carmichael, CA
    '97 Sport 4x4
    Yes, a black light will work. The cat pee will glow under black light. Trust me, I've done this before.

Also, if you locate the area, baking soda applied liberally will help to get rid of some of the odor. Either that, or some enzyme cleaner from a pet store or feed store.

4. gijoecam

City, State:
    Trenton, MI
    98 ExSport, '00 F-150
    The hardest part is proving to be finding the source of the odor. I've got it narrowed down to one particular corner where the stairs are to the house, but I can't seem to find it under the light (wife bought one a while back)... Nothing really stands out as glowing so far. I may have to wait until after dark to get a better look (the window has cheap blinds that are closed, but they still let a lot of light through).

Once I can find the source, I'll be bleaching, baking soda'ing, then using the cat scent remover she uses on everything when the cats happen to 'miss' the litterbox, then following it up with a generous application of Ozium directly to the treated surface... But I gotta find it first... After I've been out there for 10-15 minutes, I can't smell it anymore, but I know it's not gonna go away on its own.

-Joe

5. dogfriend

City, State:
    Carmichael, CA
    '97 Sport 4x4
    Your best bet may be enzyme cleaner in a spray bottle. You can just spray it over the area where you suspect the cat sprayed.

6. gijoecam

City, State:
    Trenton, MI
    98 ExSport, '00 F-150
    I searched again with the black light now that it's dark outside... Still couldn't find anything. I am wondering if they didn't actually spray anything.... maybe just sat on the steps against the warm doorway and the stink of feral cat got deposited on the door mat or step or door jamb.... We can smell them in the wintertime if they've been sitting on our porch the previous night. They like to sit there because our porch is relatively warm and sheltered from the wind, and when I leave for work in the morning, I can smell it strong for several days afterward...

-Joe

7. dogfriend

City, State:
    Carmichael, CA
    '97 Sport 4x4
    Those sound like some stinky cats.

8. corkey

corkey Moderator Emeritus Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Elite Canuck,multiple ifs offender,, and musky maniac,, i wheel and i fish,,
    99 xls,96 xl,91,08 Ranger
    spray some chlorine bleach , like Javex around , it will get rid of the smell, and not only that , cats hate the smell of it,, so they won't go near it,,

9. gijoecam

City, State:
    Trenton, MI
    98 ExSport, '00 F-150
    I wonder if that might keep 'em off the porch too?

10. dogfriend

City, State:
    Carmichael, CA
    '97 Sport 4x4
    They supposedly don't like orange citrus smell either.

11. gijoecam

City, State:
    Trenton, MI
    98 ExSport, '00 F-150
    I don't know about that one.... My wife dropped an orange slice last week, and one of the cats came running over to play with it... Picked it up in his mouth and carried it into the other room, then batted it around until it leaked and got sticky. Then he got bored with it.... Crazy cat!

12. dogfriend

City, State:
    Carmichael, CA
    '97 Sport 4x4
    I've never tested the orange smell on our cat, but read that it supposedly worked to repel cats from areas where you don't want them. Our cat pretty much runs the house.

13. RubySlow

RubySlow Active Member

City, State:
    Pacifica Ca to be S'Pacific
    BAYDESTRIAN
    Ohh accidently leaving out anitfreeze will get rid of cats or dogs so be careful!

14. gijoecam

City, State:
    Trenton, MI
    98 ExSport, '00 F-150
    Yes, I'm aware of that.... Lets not get into suggesting cruel and painful ways to tortuously kill animals here, please, OK?

FWIW, I did a little more searching yesterday and I think I narrowed down the source of the odor... I had a piece of plywood leaning against the table saw in the corner of the garage where the odor seemed strongest. When I picked it up and flipped it over, I caught a strong whiff all along the bottom edge and corners as though the cat had rubbed against it as it walked past. I tossed the board outside and sprayed some more Ozium around the area.... Seemed to do the trick (so far).

Also, the only thing there that showed up under the black light was some psint I had spilled on it (used the board as a workbench for my miror project a couple months back).... so I don't think it peed, I think it was just a stinky cat.

15. zukman

zukman "Home of Misfit Crawlers" Elite Explorer

City, State:
    arcadia calif.
    '91EB, '86Sami, '85Ranger
    Something you might try. Those of us from the commercial horse world, aka. Horse Drawn Carriages working the streets. We carried a Spray bottle with water bleach and vanilla extract. Yes vanilla extract! The vanilla neutralizes the urine odor, while the bleach stops staining of the concrete in Hotel Portocos.

16. sn0border88

sn0border88 Master Apprentice Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Souderton, PA
    1992 XLT
    So then you ok with popping them off with a .22? Fixed my problem here.