Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Getting Ham Radio for under $40..

Discussion in 'Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications' started by tdavis, October 29, 2013.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. tdavis

tdavis Linux Guru, Jack of All Trades Staff Member Admin Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Pinole, CA
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2001 F250/XLT Superduty
    Callsign:
    KG6MAX
    Yes, you can get a decent radio for under $40. Remember, I said decent, not "best".

BaoFeng UV-5R 136-174/400-480 MHz Dual-Band Ham Radio (Black)

Yes, it is a Chinese made SDR radio, for 174 and 400 mhz bands. And overview of this radio is at http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/

No, it's not top of the line. It is however cheap enough to just dump and not worry about it.

Some accessories:

NAGOYA NA-771 DUAL BAND 144/430Mhz U/V SMA-F Antenna For BAOFENG UV-5R WOUXUN KG-UVD1P

BaoFeng 28-020-112 Two-Way Radio Speaker

Original Nagoya Dual Band SMA UV Antenna for baofeng UV-5R dual band antenna UV-5RA UV-5RB UV-5RC UV-5RE UT-108UV SMA-Female by Two way radio wholesaler

You'll need this cable:

USB Programming Cable for Baofeng UV-5R UV-3R+ Two way Radio With Driver CD

To program the radio. That's right, instead of being totally lost.. You can be lost and amazed at the same time. The cable works with CHIRP, which makes setup of the radio extremely fast, simple, and easy.

Last, get your ham radio technician license and have a good radio to carry around!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. rizzjc

rizzjc Scubajoe - Radio Mod Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Garner, NC
    '97 AWD V8 XLT
    Callsign:
    N1LVN
    Yep, those radios sell like hotcakes at hamfests because you almost can't go wrong! Especially for an ht backup that people like to have around, but might not use often. I paid over $300 for my Kenwood ht, 20 years ago. I would never do it again because I just don't use that much. These are decent radios, and awesome for the price! Originally they were sold on eBay because they weren't fcc certified, but now they are, so you see them all over the place.

4. The DB

The DB Active Member

City, State:
    St. Louis
    2000 Limited SOHC
    The ARRL will not take money from those companies to advertise in ARRL publications. The reason is simple, they tested the quality of the radios in question and the transmitted signals from those radios doesn't come anywhere close to what they consider "descent", or even "acceptable".

Not saying the radios won't work for you, just pointing out something to consider.

That being said, if it were the option of one of those piece of crap radios or no radios at all I would choose one of those radios...

The DB

5. tdavis

tdavis Linux Guru, Jack of All Trades Staff Member Admin Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Pinole, CA
    2001 F250/XLT Superduty
    Callsign:
    KG6MAX
    Funny, if the ARRL was so picky..

Why are they selling accessories for this radio?

http://www.arrl.org/shop/UV-5R-Series-Baofeng-Transceivers-Reference-Card

Like I said, it's a good starter radio, or a radio to just have around when TSHTF (or a the big roller hits here..)

Does it have problems? Sure. It's cheap. Anything cheap will have problems. This is more for getting people into ham radio, than trying to scare someone into buying an expensive radio.

6. rizzjc

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Garner, NC
    '97 AWD V8 XLT
    Callsign:
    N1LVN
    Yep, exactly. Wouxun is another one. They have a dual-band mobile (these guys don't, yet), but it's $350. Reviews aren't great, and that's a lot of money for a not so great radio. $40 however, can't be beat!

I need a good price on a dual band mobile. My single band yaesu won't fit in my new car. The dual banders all have detachable faceplates.

7. JUNO

JUNO New Member

City, State:
    Currently on the Illinois-Wisconsin State Line
    1994 Explorer XLT 4x4
    There are a number of websites that regularly test or post reviews of equipment from those who have purchased and used them, eHam is my favorite. Why anyone would purchase a dual band Wouxon after reading the reviews makes me think the ONLY reason they would buy one in the first place was to be able to brag they have a new radio, period. The quality and performance is certainly nothing to brag about.

When I was in the market for a dual bander and realized I coudn't afford a "NEW" one, I turned to the used market and chose a rig with a good history from a well known and reputable company, Kenwood. Now my rig might be 10 years old now but I can honestly say when compared against a Wouxsun, there is no competition the Kenwood wins hands down for about half the price. NEW is not always BETTER!

8. Randall

Randall Demon4x4 Member

City, State:
    Mo. City, TX
    1991 Demon Edition
    Callsign:
    KF5ZXT
    Nice, now what's a good option for a cheap mobile unit to sell my friends on? :D

9. Explorer0204

Explorer0204 Active Member

City, State:
    Upstate NY
    04 Explorer XLT
    Uniden 510 or 520xl

10. Randall

Randall Demon4x4 Member

City, State:
    Mo. City, TX
    1991 Demon Edition
    Callsign:
    KF5ZXT
  11. rizzjc

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Garner, NC
    '97 AWD V8 XLT
    Callsign:
    N1LVN
    Yaesu FT-1900 is about as cheap as you're gonna get, and it's a solid radio. Weather bad, scanning, plenty of memories, and 55 watts of power. They can be had for $130 right now. I have the older version, the FT-1800 and it's been great. I wanted a dual band, but I just could not pass up a brand new 2 meter mobile for $125. The Kenwood TM-281 is nearly the same price.