Getting the serpentine belt off '93 explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Getting the serpentine belt off '93 explorer

daveinfl

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 explorer sport
I have a 93 explorer sport 2wd, 2 door which doesn't use a 3/8 driver but instead requires something like a 15mm socket (I forget exactly what I was using). I can turn the socket counter clockwise (clockwise does nothing) and I'm doing about half a turn but it still doesn't seem as if the belt is losing enough tension although the tensioner is clearly sliding towards the right (see pic).

I would push down harder but I'm afraid of breaking something and it's also pretty close to the radiator hose so it's a pain to get to.

It looks like this:

(another forum poster posted this earlier)

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/408/0420101715.jpg/

Has anyone removed one of these before? Is there some sort of trick to this? I see on the picture where it says "Lift" with the arrow. Maybe I just need to force the thing down further?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think counter clockwise is correct. Just crank on it and slip the belt off once it loosens enough. If you have been taking the belt on and off, check that it is not riding on the lip of one of the pulleys as that will make it tighter.

If you are replacing your belt and the old one's toast, it's just as easy to cut the old belt. On my car I notched out the the fan shroud as well to make access to the tensioner easier.

If the tensioner will not release for some reason (i.e. damaged spring) you can turn the bolt clockwise to loosen and remove the bolt holding it on. If the belt is still on, however, you need to be careful as the belt may be under high tension and you could damage the bolt threads or hurt yourself. Depending on your layout (it varies slightly) it may be safer to remove the idler pully instead as it won't snap back like the tensioner. Wear gloves!

Thanks I guess I'll give it another shot in the Autozone parking lot and just force it down further and see. If I have to I'll cut it but I was kind of hoping to keep the old one to use as an emergency spare (it's moderately frayed).

If I bust the tensioner at least I'll be right there in order to get the part. :D

The tensioner assembly with pulley shouldn't be more than $20-40. The pulley on the tensioner is interchangeable with your idler pulley and would be good to keep as a spare, as it is a common failure point once the bearing wears out. This is usually indicated by a high pitched squeal/whistle and you will be able to feel the seized bearing by spinning the pulleys by hand with the belt off.

If you have to cut your old belt don't sweat it. Get a high quality belt like a Gatorback and you shouldn't have to worry about it for a long time. The 4.0 is not hard on belts so a spare is not really that important.

My 93 was the same way. I cut the old belt off & had a hard time trying to get the new belt on. Had to use a section of PVC pipe over the ratchet to get enough leverage to push it down enough & it barely slipped over the alt pulley. However once it was broken in, the belt stretched a little & now it's easy to get on & off.

Back